Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Old Rem. 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Bronze Member

Old Rem. 700

I got an old rem 700, is it worth customizing it for long range or am i better of building from scratch. I was going to leave original stock and bed it, new barrel, new trigger, and new long range scope. Would i be able to get this gun to shoot 1/4 at 700 yrds with the right ammo? The action is a little old, does that matter?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Old Rem. 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyllan78 View Post
I got an old rem 700, is it worth customizing it for long range or am i better of building from scratch. I was going to leave original stock and bed it, new barrel, new trigger, and new long range scope. Would i be able to get this gun to shoot 1/4 at 700 yrds with the right ammo? The action is a little old, does that matter?
1/4 moa at 700 yrds is a tall order out of any gun regardless of how custom it is. I don't know that there are many that are even capable of this kind of accuracy even with a full on bench gun.

Is worth doing, in my opinion, yes. A fraction of the price of a full custom, but it will not be a full custom. You can build a Corvette out of that rifle, but not a Ferrari. If you want the experience of running the Ferrari, spend $4000 on a custom. There is nothing quite like shooting a full on custom rifle. But don't expect that you will shoot 1/4 moa out of anything.

Steve
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Bronze Member

So what your saying is, I can shoot as good as a full custom it just wont look as good or cost as much??
Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

if you put a krieger barrel on it and a solid stock it ; adjust the trigger or replace it ; it will shoot so close to a custom that you won't know the difference.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

No reason you couldn't make a really good accurate rifle from your old Rem 700 and as far as looks those can be upgraded also. Its all in how much you wish to spend and what you want it to look like when its finished. All dressed up and blue printed there is no difference between an old action and a new one.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you thats what i wanted to know, im only concerned in getting accuracy for my first semi custom. If things go well i will build full custom later. Didnt want to spend the money if this gun is just going to shoot like any standard out of the box hunting rifle.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

You should have the action trued.

IBS Record - Maryland Shooters