Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Okay, Go ahead and verbally pummel me...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM

Okay, Go ahead and verbally pummel me...

I'm a new guy to the site. I found the site looking for answers regarding scope mounting. I own two center fire rifles but have never taken any game with them. This I hope to amend soon. I live in Iowa, where there is only a special "late center fire season" in the southern counties of the state.
Here is where you can start kicking me.... I just read a post in another forum where a junior member wanted to shoot deer at 800 plus yards. Really???
Shooting at an animal at a half mile plus blows my mind. Are there really that many of you guys taking large game like deer and elk at those ranges?
I'm not trying to be a jerk, or say it is unethical or call anyone a liar. I just have never heard of such long range shots being taken on a regular basis.
Again, I'm only asking to become informed, not irritate anyone..... Feedback?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Okay, Go ahead and verbally pummel me...

First off welcome to the site You will learn a lot on here. As far as scope mounting, use the search feature up in the menu bar and you will be given some info. Shooting game at Long range is definitely possible, don't expect to jump in and start shooting at extreme distances right away. It takes a lot of practice. Some of the more experienced will chime in as I'm only a 400yd shooter so far.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome, "Junior Member" around here can mean different things. Most of us haven't been called "junior" for some time. Then of course Riley and others are out there.

There is a lot of shooting to be done out to there though, and I have not stretched that far, but the practice, and knowledge acquired here have helped me a bunch.

Feedback, yes there are guys here that can, and do take game at range. First step is casting off the shackles of what you've been told before regarding LRH. Second step if you can't do a thing doesn't mean some one else can't.

Have fun!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

There are many people out there, and many people on this site that have shot game animal at and well past 800 yards. I shot my deer this year at 771 yards. And if a shot presented itself, and I felt there was a very high probability of making the shot along with good atmospheric conditions, I'd take a game animal even farther. Because I've put in the practice all year long waiting for that oppourtunity to present itself. Now, do I need to be able to shoot 800,900,even1000 yards in order to fill my tags every year? No. I've killed elk and deer anywhere from 7-74 yards with a stick and string. Ive just developed a strong liking towards shooting at farther ranges. As many people on this site have. It's a liking I can't quite explain.

Anyway, welcome to the site.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Welcome to the site. Everyone has their preference of how they hunt. Some like to get really close and use a bow. I personally have gone the other way. The shot is my trophy and the challenge of making said shot. I have spent many many dollars and hours practicing, research, and reloading. Things are starting to work for me. I am just a novice at the LR game but, this year killed cow elk 722, whitetail does 650,730, and 1170. If you do your home work and practice with an accurate rifle, 800 yards is not that much of a stretch.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Why limit your chances of success only knowing how to shoot 100-300 yards? Not every part of the country is like it is back east. Many places have open spaces and canyons oplenty. The further you can accurately shoot, the better your odds of success. Besides, it's a lot of fun and very challenging. It's a great sport for thinking minds that get bored easily. Aside from a range worthy rifle, its purely mathematics and trigger control. Easy.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

I was in this boat too although I had experience with sniper training once in the military. I grew up with firearms and did a lot of varmint shooting. I choose a bow for big game but decided I wanted to hunt varmint, big ones, called a wolf. I have killed a few but they are amazing critters and present much more opportunity for LR shots then close. I have been as close as 12 steps so I sort of prefer them to be a bit further.
It is not unreasonable for a person to be able to achieve LR shots with incredible accuracy. As mentioned already, just because 1 person can not do it, does not mean that others cant. What I see on this forum is guys who actually look for and practice first round cold bore hits. That is 1st time strikes on the target of 1 MOA or less out the distance to which their weapon is no longer effective. This can be done with the proper education, skill, equipment, and practice. The biggest decision you have to make is do you shoot or walk away. That is a challenge with in the challenge. I walked from a 1220 yard shot this fall as I could not read the wind. I did shoot a rock at the same distance, same spot to confirm my choice. I was right, I didn't have a good read and my shot was not on the 1st round.
So yes sir, it can be done. It is not easy. And it should be taken seriously. Good questions. Hope you find what are looking for.