Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Ok the unit has been decided in CO!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 AM
SPONSOR

Ok the unit has been decided in CO!!!

After talking to alot of people and plenty of time on google earth I have pretty much decided on colorado GMU 751 for hopefully first season elk rifle in 2008. What i am lookin at so far is we depart from the northern most campground above valecito reservior and head up the large draw/drainage toward sheep draw and soda spring. My question is how far do we need to head up to get into elk country and away from people??? I am looking towards Irving lake and as far as the Weminuche wilderness area and even Stormy Gulch. I really dont think we would want to go any farther than Stormy Gulch and that is really only if we draw for first season, later in the year I am hesitant to go that far in with the chance of weather.

How far you guys figure two maybe three guys can cover up that drainage with 2 mules in one days time, starting first thing in the morning. Im just trying to get a idea of the lay of the land, where to find the elk, and how hard this is gonna be.

Thanks again guys,

You know if with all the help everyone has given so far and all the post i am thinkin maybe Len could make this into the first LRH started and documented completely DIY hunt, you know from start to hopefully successful finish. guess we will see how it goes.

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 AM
PUBLISHER

Steve, sounds good to me. I used Google Earth pre-hunt for the first time last fall (thanks to Big Sky's suggestion). Amazing help. I printed aerials and took them along.

I just got a new pocket size digital camera that also does video. I am working on obtaining software that will allow us to embed video in a thread.

We wouldn't be sent out to Youtube's site after clicking a link here in a thread...and be forced to wander over and eventually watch Brittney Spears without her shoes on.

Instead in your post you'd see a thumbnail with "PLAY" arrow to click on. Clicking PLAY would result in a video window opening right here in the post.

So...bring back some video. Doesn't have to be long range video. I know a small camera won't do that.

You read it here first. But...Shhhhh! light bulb

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerch View Post
After talking to alot of people and plenty of time on google earth I have pretty much decided on colorado GMU 751 for hopefully first season elk rifle in 2008. What i am lookin at so far is we depart from the northern most campground above valecito reservior and head up the large draw/drainage toward sheep draw and soda spring. My question is how far do we need to head up to get into elk country and away from people??? I am looking towards Irving lake and as far as the Weminuche wilderness area and even Stormy Gulch. I really dont think we would want to go any farther than Stormy Gulch and that is really only if we draw for first season, later in the year I am hesitant to go that far in with the chance of weather.

How far you guys figure two maybe three guys can cover up that drainage with 2 mules in one days time, starting first thing in the morning. Im just trying to get a idea of the lay of the land, where to find the elk, and how hard this is gonna be.

Thanks again guys,

You know if with all the help everyone has given so far and all the post i am thinkin maybe Len could make this into the first long range hunting started and documented completely DIY hunt, you know from start to hopefully successful finish. guess we will see how it goes.

take it easy
steve

Hi Steve,

I have hunted with some friends in unit 751 for the last two years. I don't have any experience in the area of the unit you are talking about, as we hunt down in the San Juan NF close to Hwy 160. We have always seen elk, and have taken 2 each of the seasons we have hunted. Our party of hunters is 6 guys.

We have opted for cow tags the last two years, but have seen a few good bulls as well. The first year, I took a cow at 625 yards and the other cow was taken at about 75 yards. This year one took a cow at 685 yards on the same mountain where I previously shot mine and the other was taken at 45 yards.

We usually hunt the 2nd season and keep an eye on the weather!! This past season we were plagued by hot weather and a full moon that made hunting tough! I saw more mule deer this year then last and less elk.

I have talked to some guys who hunted the area you are talking about, they had a few comments about how deep the gorges were and hard the terrain was.......so much so, they came down to the area where we hunted. LOL

A good unit to hunt, plenty of elk and bear if you are so inclined!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:09 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks Len and Sig, i hope the area turns out to be good.

Come on guys, I know theres gotta be someone else out there who knows something about the area or has some tips two or three new guys to DIY hunting can use.

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 PM

Last edited by TennVol; 05-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Lerch do you work at Gene Sears in El Reno?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

you boys might want to do a search for "do it yourself elk hunting" a book is sold for just this type of hunting. gives all sorts of do's and don't. would probably be a great read for what you want to do. good luck, if i don't draw a Wy. tag, i might be trying to tag along.