Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

OK, really weird question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: OK, really weird question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
My advise is to not shoot that rifle in a confined space. Unless you like getting punched upside the head. The blast from those big boomers can cause some serious damage. That's why our spotter position with them is straight behind the shooter between his feet.
Yep. I can't imagine shooting any of the magnums in an enclosed space especially the "biggn's like the Cheytac and 50 bmg's.

Pretty much an invitation to a pressure wave induced concussion at some point.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Very good advises.

DanGuy48, get well and keep us posted.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Gold Member

It could affect the sinus in several ways I guess . If his sinus is slightly blocked then the concussion can cause a small nose bleed that dose not come out until later . That could be the funny feeling and the taste .
I had the same thing happen one time after firing a 460 Weatherby but my nose bleed was obvious . Slight but obvious . If later you blow your nose and get some blood then that could be it . Make sure you have good quality ear protection and don't shoot with your mouth slightly open . I bet the biggest issue is a muzzle break in the confined space .
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
?..I get the sensation that I was just lightly punched in the nose. Kind of a wierd feeling, actually. Definatly could feel it in my sinuses.
Yeah, that describes it very well. I used to do a lot of martial arts and when I'd take a good shot, I'd get like a blood odor in my sinuses. It reminded me of that, but different, like you said, weird feeling.

Anyway, thanks for feed back everyone. Good to know. This definitely won't be something I'll be doing regularly. I had just finished mounting new 20 MOA base, rings and scope and wanted to get a rough sight in and generate some fired brass. This range is just a couple miles from me and I didn't want to drive to more distant ranges just to fire a few shots. Interesting experience...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
Yeah, that describes it very well. I used to do a lot of martial arts and when I'd take a good shot, I'd get like a blood odor in my sinuses. It reminded me of that, but different, like you said, weird feeling.

Anyway, thanks for feed back everyone. Good to know. This definitely won't be something I'll be doing regularly. I had just finished mounting new 20 MOA base, rings and scope and wanted to get a rough sight in and generate some fired brass. This range is just a couple miles from me and I didn't want to drive to more distant ranges just to fire a few shots. Interesting experience...
This may sound silly but... If you have to shoot in that environment in the future get one of those swimmer's nose clamps and wear it. Also make sure your mouth is closed when you pull the trigger.

That should greatly reduce the blast effect at least internally.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

We have a range not too far from the house I have shot on that has the dividers between benches. The last time I stopped in there I got the bench on the end that only had one divider and was open on one end. I know my .338 Edge had a heck of a blast hitting me, you are correct about the brake enhancing the effect felt back on the shooter (off the barrier). I also stuck my pack between my head and such to lessen the effect. That and my barrel is long enough to where I can poke it out past a little, kinda cheated.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.