Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

OK, really weird question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM

OK, really weird question

I went to range yesterday to fire a few shots to generate some brass to send to Warner to make me some dies for this gun, .375 CheyTac. Anyway, the recoil didn't seem too bad but I noticed when shooting that my sinuses were starting to feel weird. Later, it was worse and it's still bothering me today. There's a bit of pain and sort of a swollen feeling. It's almost like I can smell or taste something. I used to shoot 50 foot indoors so I'm very familiar with those kinds of smells. This is different.

Anyway, on thinking about this, the lanes where I was shooting had Lexan partitions between each bench. The muzzle did not really extend past the ends of the partitions so I think that the muzzle brake was directing the muzzle blast right back into the bench area. Has anyone ever heard of a sharp explosion like that affecting sinuses? Yeah, I know, sounds crazy.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: OK, really weird question

haven't heard of that in particular, but it sounds reasonable, shock waves can do funny things
Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

Unusual stress or swelling of the upper jaw or neck can trigger a sinus headache that can last a few days. Laying prone for extended periods with your head in the air or clenched teeth could have something to do with it. I've heard of being able to taste spinal fluid after some type of trauma.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
I went to range yesterday to fire a few shots to generate some brass to send to Warner to make me some dies for this gun, .375 CheyTac. Anyway, the recoil didn't seem too bad but I noticed when shooting that my sinuses were starting to feel weird. Later, it was worse and it's still bothering me today. There's a bit of pain and sort of a swollen feeling. It's almost like I can smell or taste something. I used to shoot 50 foot indoors so I'm very familiar with those kinds of smells. This is different.

Anyway, on thinking about this, the lanes where I was shooting had Lexan partitions between each bench. The muzzle did not really extend past the ends of the partitions so I think that the muzzle brake was directing the muzzle blast right back into the bench area. Has anyone ever heard of a sharp explosion like that affecting sinuses? Yeah, I know, sounds crazy.
No not such a crazy question or idea.

In such a closed setting the blast off of the rifle could very easily effect your sinuses in several different ways.

If you had some closed sinuses and a sinus infection you didn't know about it could have very easily opened them up and they are now draining as a result.

If you had some sinus irritation from allergies etc the same could have occurred.

Another possibility is the blast could have had the opposite effect causing some swelling and irritation combined with the burnt powder etc clogging some of your sinuses and trapping some of the arosolized particulates in them and they are now starting to drain so what was trapped in them is starting to leak out.

I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV but something you might consider if you can safely take it is some Entex or generic guaifenisson to clean it all out.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Not weird at all. I don't have any problem shooting my breaked 300 wby comp guns. I don't have any trouble shooting an AR - 30 in 338 LM with the big rearward facing break. But...every time I pull the trigger on my friends factory MK V 30-378 WBY with a factory break, I get the sensation that I was just lightly punched in the nose. Kind of a wierd feeling, actually. Definatly could feel it in my sinuses. It is a very sharp crack compared to the 338 LM. On the other hand....everything must be bolted down on the bench when you let fly with the big Lapua...sh-t flies everywhere. With the big WBY...it is a pure shock wave...not much moves on the bench.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

I think you got a very mild dose of ..........over pressure (I'm thinking like with modern artillery just much smaller scale)? And your sinuses are just sensitive to it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

My advise is to not shoot that rifle in a confined space. Unless you like getting punched upside the head. The blast from those big boomers can cause some serious damage. That's why our spotter position with them is straight behind the shooter between his feet.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.