Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

OK...misfires in my 6.5x47 questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

OK...misfires in my 6.5x47 questions...

ok guys need your help.

i got my custom build back from a great smith, rem 700 fitted with a PTG bolt and fluted firing pin. the firing pin is bushed.

here is the deal. was having issues with primers not going boom. called PTG and they sent me a new spring. sent it to the smith and he said it was the same spring as before. he replaced the factory spring with an extra power spring.

i'm shooting lapua brass, 130vlds varget, and CCI 450's. it would not even light a BR-4.
what I'm getting now is about 25% misfire(primers do not go off) with the 450's.

primer strikes look exactly the same on the fired rounds as the misfired rounds. that's what doesn't make sense to me. it's not light strikes. i can feed them through again and they won't go bang.

so i thought i was getting smart and was going to test in the house. i bought CCI 400's. Federal 205's got out the 450's and the BR-4's. i loaded them up in lapua brass(no powder, just primers)

i cannot get anything to misfire with just primers, and i know that if i went out shooting with loaded rounds i would get the same misfires. i pulled the bullets and powder from the misfired rounds from yesterday, and fed about 12 of them through the gun. all but 1 of the primers went bang. the failure rate of around 25% is over multiple range trips with both springs installed.

i don't know what to do. i first thought it was the gun, then i thought it was the CCI cups because i thought they were supposed to be a harder metal. but i can't replicate it with just primers.

what am i doing wrong!! please help. thanks again guys for your input!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: OK...misfires in my 6.5x47 questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovdasnow View Post
ok guys need your help.

i got my custom build back from a great smith, rem 700 fitted with a PTG bolt and fluted firing pin. the firing pin is bushed.

here is the deal. was having issues with primers not going boom. called PTG and they sent me a new spring. sent it to the smith and he said it was the same spring as before. he replaced the factory spring with an extra power spring.

i'm shooting lapua brass, 130vlds varget, and CCI 450's. it would not even light a BR-4.
what I'm getting now is about 25% misfire(primers do not go off) with the 450's.

primer strikes look exactly the same on the fired rounds as the misfired rounds. that's what doesn't make sense to me. it's not light strikes. i can feed them through again and they won't go bang.

so i thought i was getting smart and was going to test in the house. i bought CCI 400's. Federal 205's got out the 450's and the BR-4's. i loaded them up in lapua brass(no powder, just primers)

i cannot get anything to misfire with just primers, and i know that if i went out shooting with loaded rounds i would get the same misfires. i pulled the bullets and powder from the misfired rounds from yesterday, and fed about 12 of them through the gun. all but 1 of the primers went bang. the failure rate of around 25% is over multiple range trips with both springs installed.

i don't know what to do. i first thought it was the gun, then i thought it was the CCI cups because i thought they were supposed to be a harder metal. but i can't replicate it with just primers.

what am i doing wrong!! please help. thanks again guys for your input!
Are you cramming the bullets in to the lands or are they set back off the lands? Have you tried shooting any with the bullet seated deep in the casing?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

i've heard that being a problem with the 6.5x47. The small primers do not have enough donkeys to get the powder to light. I also heard it was a problem with the 308 palma brass that has the small primer pocket.

Do not know the fix for it, but i would try the hottest samll rifle primer, i think its the federals 205m's.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

How far are you pushing the shoulder back on your brass? If too far, it might be too much headspace.

Were you using the same resized brass when testing primers?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

they are not jammed in the lands.

I'm gonna load some with the 205's and go back out and see what happens because I'm out of ideas.

the brass i am using now is brand new never fired lapua brass. so i have not even resized, just checked necks, etc, and loaded.

i don't think it's headspace, because the firing pin indent on primers that go bang and the ones that don't look exactly the same, but maybe i'm missing something here.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Try CCI 450's, they are a small magnum primer.

Maybe your headspace is a little much, when that happens, the firing pin pushes the case in as it strikes it and creates inconsistent ignition.

Also, are you uniforming primer pockets? If you cut them too deep that could also create a problem, it might be firing pin pertrution that is causing your misfires.

I have yet to have any misfires in my 6.5x47 Lapua, the small primers are more than enough to light the powder, if it wasn't, all 6.5x47 Lapua owners would be having problems!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

i have not done anything to my primer pockets.

maybe i wasn't clear enough, but the 450's are what i've been shooting and what i've been having the issues with. started with the br-4's and they wouldn't go bang. the last 200 round have been with the 450's. still getting a 20-25% failure rate..