Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

ok guys, which stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

ok guys, which stock?

I'd like to know which stock you guys think is the best and why. I had pretty much settled on a houge with the full bedding block, but now i'm second guessing myself. I don't see anybody here using this stock. Atleast not a lot of you. What do you guys think?

Last edited by chrishatley; 03-13-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: ok guys, which stock?

It's really a matter of preference and application. I like the HS precision stocks, but mcmillan, manners, greybull precision all are good choices. Just depends on your intended use and depth of pockets.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

+1 on personal preference. for synthetic, i use choate tact./varmint, but for the best of both worlds, wood "pretty" and syn. strong, can't beat ACCURATE INNOVATIONS. i have used 'em all over, high/low/wet/dry/hot/freezing etc. and they are rock solid and look great.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Hogue w/o the bedding block, and it is still a little flimsy. Going with a good solid stock that is either composite, or laminate wood would get my vote.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

The downside of the Hogue is that I've heard it's not easy to get bedding material to stick inside one of those stocks, especially at the edge where the rubberized material overlaps into the action area. So, if you want to go to the next level and bed it, I think you're starting in the wrong place.

At the SHOT show I purposely went around and checked out stocks, especailly the 4 most common replacements namely B&C, HS Precision, McMillan and Manners. I would rate B&C lowest (though a very nice stock) as it's not quite as nice as HS Precision which I'd place next. Next when you get to your Manners and Mc Millan they are at a totally different level. Both are very good and for easily available stocks are the top of the heap.

Accurate Innovations are nice, but more on a custom level, both in price and availability.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

For the money and availability, it is tough to beat HS Precision. I have one, it is a great stock. The best is Mcmillan and Manners, but they are more $ and typically require a longer wait.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Those McMillan's sure are nice.