Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Off to Canada for a Whitetail hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2001, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Off to Canada for a Whitetail hunt

Dave,

Nice looking buck. Glad to hear the monster drive was worth it.

What WMU were you hunting in?

It sounds like you saw more wildlife in a few days than I have seen in the 5 years I have lived here. Alberta is truly awesome for hunting and shooting.

My boss went into the SE corner of Alberta for non-trophy Antelope and he said there were tons of them there and shots were available out as far as one cared to shoot.

The loaned .338 Mag I had has been reclaimed by its owner for hunting season so I will have to wait to finish doing load workup and long-range testing. I am also getting a handful of 300 gr Sierra's to test as well.

If you are back in Alberta, give me a call. My work number is 640-1110. It is OK to call me in the office as I work for the National Firearms Association so pretty much anything we discuss will be "work related". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Peter
Old 11-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

Nice buck, Dave! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of price range are we talking about for hunting with this outfitter? I've always dreamed of hunting in that area, and have heard good things about that particular outfitter.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Bud

I'm not sure of the price for next year but this year it was in the $4,300USD range (just show up, travel NOT included). Here's the number to his service 800.443.6753 He rents several motels, not rooms mind you but the whole motel and has meals and day lunches taken care of. The stands are heated (if you need or would like heat) and he sometimes has a hunter that prefers to stay in the vehicle(s) (southern area of farm country).

I called him yesterday to get an idea of the success and size. He still has a few hunters around so no success percent yet. So far, his hunters got 9 deer over 170 inches including one 201 inch non-typical.

I'm already negotiating for next year and will opt to go for the late openings and the (hopefully) -30 degree weather.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:12 PM
Bronze Member

DAVE: If you drive up there from MD, you could swing right by my house on your way up to Alberta. I live on the IL/WI border, 2 mi south of Beloit, WI. We could split gas and lodging en route, and exchange lies about our shooting exploits. You could also bring your bow and hunt a couple of days in my backyard. Got a 162 P&Y buck there on 10/26/01, and have sighted an even bigger one 3 times in the last week. Non-resident IL bow tags are sold over the counter. Something to think about. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2001, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Nice buck Dave. That sounds like an awesome place to hunt.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

Bud

Thanks for the offer, I do believe I'll be going again next year and I've already called Ron about setting things up.
I do go up through Wisconsin and wouldn't mind the company on the trip. I'm originally from Wisconsin and often stop near Eau Claire when traveling through that area. Perhaps I can hook you up with some friends and family in the Eau Claire, Dunn and Buffalo counties areas and you can give that area a good going over (reportedly there are some good bucks in the hills of Buffalo county).

I don't know if Mike will be going again next year, his wife is due to deliver a hunting partner for him in May and I believe he want to spend time with his expanding family.

I'd need to look at my vacation situation before commiting to an archery hunt at your place, I'm always short on leave.

I saw the pictures of your archery buck, great deer... what I can't understand is why you're on the computer and not out trying to get the bigger one you've spotted [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

I need to stop at Ian's place on the way, if he's around and not on some whirlwind hunting tour, and Peter Cronhelm lives up along the way too.

Brent
Some day I need to get up to Alaska, I've been scheduled several times but didn't make the trip. A good friend, Charly Culbertson, guided for Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters for years but this last year he decided to guide for Brown Bear in Russia, on the Kamchatka Peninsula. Charly is now all excited about Russia, he says he's never seen so many bears in any one place. I imagine he'll try to get me over there for those bears. (Last time I visited Petropovlosk it was from JUST outside the territorial waters, compliments of the U.S. Navy).
Old 11-29-2001, 08:49 AM
Bronze Member

DAVE: I AM trying to get the bigger buck. I saw him at 7:30AM yesterday, 100 yards out chasing a doe, and then again at 4:20PM, only 40 yards out, but in thick stuff. I've tried my Chuck Adams QuadGrunter and my "Can" doe bleat call, but no dice with either. I know it's late in the year for this, but I'm giving serious thought to rattling at him the next time I see him out of range. I've used rattling in Alabama while gun hunting, but have never tried it bow hunting.