Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Odd experience whitetail hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Odd experience whitetail hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillettehunter View Post
Nice looking buck. Has good mass and carries it out well. It could be a slightly different sub species. I have been told that here in N. Wy we have 3 different sub species. The largest they say is the Dakota. I have definitely seen both larger and smaller deer that I attributed to genetics. Good shot. Bruce
Could be, maybe had a coues deer wander up north!!! He would be a STUD of a coues deer!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
The WT deer sure took a huge turn for the worst this summer. I bet I didnít see a dozen three weeks ago in an area SE of Ulm where it wasnít uncommon to see a hundred in a day. Most hurtful was the loss of the bucks. Ouch.

Itís nice to see you were able to connect with one of the few left in the area and having a young family member along side.
The cascade area has taken a pounding for several years in a row. Very sad. The Sun River Valley used to be one of the more numerous herd in Montana thanks in large part to the Broken O ranch that is over 125,000 acres and allows no deer hunting. Was a great supplier to all the surrounding areas for deer.

Mother nature has a way to controlling populations, unfortunately its hard to watch and understand sometimes for those of us that truly love these animals and work hard all year to protect them and promote their living conditions. Again, such is nature but it often times SUCKS!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
You know thereis one problem though, happens every time Kirby posts. I ALLWAYS end up going to his sight and drooling. lol
Again, there may be some method to my madness!!! Thanks for checking out the site!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4XFore View Post
What a great little deer. Best of all, you are creating some unforgettable memories for you best friend, Kenzie.

I can't wait to see the little stud! Congrats......

J
He is a fair bit larger then that one that made the trip back with us from S. Dakota!!! A lot more cost effective as well. Sorry guys, small inside joke.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
Kirby,

Congrats on an excellent buck and a great story! It makes it all the better that you had your little girl with you. I can't wait for that!

I have had a similar experience with a "pigmy" whitetail. I havn't seen a mule deer like that yet, but I did shoot a small bodied whitetail buck a few years ago with the muzzleloader.

Here in NE it is the same as you describe. 200 lb average on bucks, some bigger, but very rarely much smaller than 200 lbs. This buck weighed in on my spring scale (I know, not the most accurate thing in the world) at 160.

We had a go with EHD last year, which really hurt our deer numbers. I can not believe it, but this year blue tongue has been through and hurt our already decimated herds. We'll see what comes of it. I hope it turns out better than I envision it will.

Joe
That's a great high tined buck, congrats!!! Thanks for sharing.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Damn nice deer Kirby! That sounds like a cool experience you got to spend with your daughter. Likely one she'll always remember.

Congrats on the kill bud! And whether it's a monster buck or not, that's a good deer around here...And I live in whitetail country! I wouldn't have hesitated to drop the hammer on him either. LOL

That Allen Mag is moving at 3,450! Just out of curiosity, how's the barrel and brass life on something like that?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Damn nice deer Kirby! That sounds like a cool experience you got to spend with your daughter. Likely one she'll always remember.

Congrats on the kill bud! And whether it's a monster buck or not, that's a good deer around here...And I live in whitetail country! I wouldn't have hesitated to drop the hammer on him either. LOL

That Allen Mag is moving at 3,450! Just out of curiosity, how's the barrel and brass life on something like that?
That's moving right along depending on barrel length. Generally speaking, using my recommended loads at 3300 fps or a bit over, if you take care not to let the barrel get hot and keep shooting and keep them clean, you should see 900 rounds of barrel life give or take. Brass life, with the old Jamison brass at that level, probably only 3-4 firings at +3400 fps. Toned back to 3300 fps you would see 6-8 firings at least. We are now using Bertram brass which is stronger and offers 50-75 fps more velocity at same case life or longer case life at my current standard velocity levels. Thanks for the kind comments about the deer!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com