Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Odd experience whitetail hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Odd experience whitetail hunting

Nice looking buck. Has good mass and carries it out well. It could be a slightly different sub species. I have been told that here in N. Wy we have 3 different sub species. The largest they say is the Dakota. I have definitely seen both larger and smaller deer that I attributed to genetics. Good shot. Bruce
Old 11-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

The WT deer sure took a huge turn for the worst this summer. I bet I didnít see a dozen three weeks ago in an area SE of Ulm where it wasnít uncommon to see a hundred in a day. Most hurtful was the loss of the bucks. Ouch.

Itís nice to see you were able to connect with one of the few left in the area and having a young family member along side.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

You know thereis one problem though, happens every time Kirby posts. I ALLWAYS end up going to his sight and drooling. lol
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

What a great little deer. Best of all, you are creating some unforgettable memories for you best friend, Kenzie.

I can't wait to see the little stud! Congrats......

J

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Congrats on an excellent buck and a great story! It makes it all the better that you had your little girl with you. I can't wait for that!

I have had a similar experience with a "pigmy" whitetail. I havn't seen a mule deer like that yet, but I did shoot a small bodied whitetail buck a few years ago with the muzzleloader.

Here in NE it is the same as you describe. 200 lb average on bucks, some bigger, but very rarely much smaller than 200 lbs. This buck weighed in on my spring scale (I know, not the most accurate thing in the world) at 160.

We had a go with EHD last year, which really hurt our deer numbers. I can not believe it, but this year blue tongue has been through and hurt our already decimated herds. We'll see what comes of it. I hope it turns out better than I envision it will.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Odd experience whitetail hunting-852_43392905982_5564_n.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Good story and good deer, thanks for posting. I think your rationale for taking him is spot-on. When it comes to managing for good bucks, my opinion is it can get overly not-picky. There is always some reason NOT to shoot. I think if you apply reasonable criteria (like you did) and stick to it over time the results will come.

Interesting to see a 2/3 scale buck. Wonder if it is all genes, or if he was sick/stunted/malnourished/etc when he was younger? Regardless, fun times especially with your little one tagging along!
I would say its genes. Could have been an illness when he was young I guess but the buck was extremely healthy. When we skinned him, there was 1.5 to 2" of solid fat across the entire back of this buck, not uncommon in our area. Again, totally normal, just 2/3 scale of what we normally see.

Have heard about yearling does getting bred when they were really small and that stunts their growth and often they throw small offspring. Have no idea if that is factual or not. Not sure why it would cause them to throw small offspring but can understand why their growth would be stunted.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhunt14 View Post
Nice buck and its nice to get the young ones involved. Seen that here in Pa. One of the largest racks I ever saw had a small body. Last year my 11 year old grandson shot a small 6 point at 547 yards. His first deer and he was really happy and can't wait to go this year.
Can not wait until my little one can be the one behind the rifle, or handgun or bow. Unfortunately, that is not until she is 12 years old in my state. In my opinion, Montana is really messed up with some of their regulations, namely required age to start hunting. These days, by the time a youngster is 12 years old, they have started doing 20 different things every day of the week and its often to late to get them hooked on hunting or fishing. Trying to keep her interested until then, we will see what happens.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com