Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

NZ Wapiti Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NZ Wapiti Hunting

[ QUOTE ]
At least you're not bothered by road hunters

[/ QUOTE ]

Great story and pictures
Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Bomber post and pics, as always.

Gotta get out there someday.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

Looks like great terrain! I cant wait to get over there next year for the roar! We will be on the south island aswell!

Cant wait!

Good shooting.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Why are the Red Deer less desirable than the Wapiti?

They look magnificent to me!!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Why are the Red Deer less desirable than the Wapiti?

They look magnificent to me!!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
Bill,
They are magnificent! Its just that we have red deer all over the country, both North and South Islands, but we only have wapiti in the remote Fiordland mountains. The red deer infiltrating this area interbreed with the wapiti and create a crossbreed animal that is neither one thing nor the other. They make a hybrid scream rather than the high pitched bugle of the wapiti or the powerful roar of the red. Here in NZ we want to keep the Fiordland wapiti herd as pure as possible which means culling every red that we can in this area. We have the whole rest of NZ to hunt reds in. Hope this makes it easier to understand why we have to cull the reds!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Now I understand! If I remember, both are imports, right?

I know the Reds (or subspecies thereof) spread all the way across Europe, into Asia Minor and through the Himalayas, but they must not be native to New Zealand.

Interesting territory for the Elk, though. Originally they were plains deer here, but were pushed into more remote mountain regions by both Native American hunting pressure and then us.

There are old legends that when they roamed the grasslands that they got even bigger than they do now.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Now I understand! If I remember, both are imports, right?

I know the Reds (or subspecies thereof) spread all the way across Europe, into Asia Minor and through the Himalayas, but they must not be native to New Zealand.

Interesting territory for the Elk, though. Originally they were plains deer here, but were pushed into more remote mountain regions by both Native American hunting pressure and then us.

There are old legends that when they roamed the grasslands that they got even bigger than they do now.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]
Bill,
That's a rodger, all our deer species are introduced, which is why our government classes them as pests and we have to fight so hard to keep them!
I'm sure the wapiti probably wouldn't have picked Fiordland for their NZ home but they were liberated there just after 1900 to try and keep them seperate from the red deer that had previously been liberated a long way north and south. Unfortunately the reds spread there over the next 50 years or so, and the crossbreeding began.