Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nz Tahr Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Nz Tahr Hunt

I went for a walk this week to see if I could get a friend of mine his first Tahr, and also to get some meat for the freezer,

Hunting on public land, we walked in to the hut on Tuesday night - 4 1/2 hours from the car park and about 1800 vertical feet higher. About halfway into the walk I spotted a small mob of tahr crossing a scree slope a way up from the valley floor and got my mate into position for a shot, he dropped this nanny from 220 yards with my .243.

We took the meat and continued in to the hut. Next morning we were up and about not long after dawn, spotted various small groups of tahr feeding around the valley. We decided to leave them, and climbed higher to have a look for a bull... none were seen except this one hanging below a helicopter which was a bit of a bummer

mid afternoon we located a mob of 8 nannies feeding fairly low down in some tussocky scrub, got as close as we could, and set up for the shot, 548 yards, zero wind, the Sako .243 did the job

With a fair bit of meat we decided that would do us, and walked back out in an un-expected rainstorm, which was not particularly pleasant

Car park is out in the main valley in the distance

Tahr country
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Re: Nz Tahr Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenz View Post
I went for a walk this week to see if I could get a friend of mine his first Tahr, and also to get some meat for the freezer,

Hunting on public land, we walked in to the hut on Tuesday night - 4 1/2 hours from the car park and about 1800 vertical feet higher. About halfway into the walk I spotted a small mob of tahr crossing a scree slope a way up from the valley floor and got my mate into position for a shot, he dropped this nanny from 220 yards with my .243.

We took the meat and continued in to the hut. Next morning we were up and about not long after dawn, spotted various small groups of tahr feeding around the valley. We decided to leave them, and climbed higher to have a look for a bull... none were seen except this one hanging below a helicopter which was a bit of a bummer

mid afternoon we located a mob of 8 nannies feeding fairly low down in some tussocky scrub, got as close as we could, and set up for the shot, 548 yards, zero wind, the Sako .243 did the job

With a fair bit of meat we decided that would do us, and walked back out in an un-expected rainstorm, which was not particularly pleasant

Car park is out in the main valley in the distance

Tahr country
thats a lovely part of the world ,the 243 is a fab little round shot a rabbit at 705 yards with my tikka
Old 04-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

good looking country there
sounds like you had a good hunt, nice shooting also!!

I'll be headed your way next month for stag
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

nicely done! I've always wanted to get out to your neck of the woods, looks incredible. maybe one day
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

Nice shot mate !

I just love hunting those big shaggy ones !

Great long, long range potential !

Cheers

DUH
Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Mate those tahr are top chewing as well wish i could bring my meat home with me.

Ps Nice country , what area?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Rangitata

They are very very good eating