Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

NZ Long Range Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Silver Member
Re: NZ Long Range Hunting

Greg, I try and assess powder burning rate on the weight of powder burned at what I consider maximum pressure.

I would certainly like to own a model 43 chronograph and strain guage to make decision making more black or white. However, after 40 years of reloading I do believe I have become adept at estimating the pressure signs.

I admit that so far I have only tested the 2 powders side by side in my 257W with the 156 grain bullet, and further testing with different bullet weights, and in different cases may reverse the earlier result.

I have also found that H870 produces more velocity than H50BMG for equal amounts of powder, but like many other ball powders the apparent maximum pressure has shifted constantly depending on temperature at the time.

The maximum load of H50BMG has so far consistently produced maximum pressure with the same load irrespective of temperature, and has also produced remarkably consistent velocities with extreme spreads being always under 20fps.

I will be interested to hear how your 7mm Fatso goes with the 200 grain Wildcats once the 8 twist barrel arrives. Brian.

Unread 10-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

You're 100% right about ball powders varying with temperature and H50BMG being incredibly temperature stable. That is why the similar 2211 has been my favourite powder for a long time now in my big guns. Its one more variable I don't have to worry about when calculating drop making a shot while hunting. I only have to worry about the temperature affect on air density, not on muzzle velocity due to the AR powder series superb insensitivity. Using ball powders I always had an ammo temperature correction I factored in as well. But you can't beat the velocity attainable with the ball powders. I wonder how Kirby finds US869 temperature wise? I seem to remember reading he found some unexpected pressure signs out testing with it one day in the 338AM. That sort of thing used to happen to me all the time when I burnt a lot of H870 long range hunting goats, hot days and accumulated fouling when you're shooting 50 or more rounds a day saw the pressures rise considerably.
Have you tried any 869?

Email me and I'll give you my thoughts for what they're worth.
NZ Longranger
Unread 10-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

Greg, No, I haven't tried HUS869, but would buy some in a heartbeat if I knew someone in Oz had imported it. Hopefully that will occur sooner rather than later.

Are Hodgdon powders available in New Zealand?
Unread 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

NZ Longranger,
What a great post. Thanks for sharing story &amp; pics.
Really like the look of your suppressors. Unfortunely they are illegal in Australia.