Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

NZ Long Range Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Silver Member
Re: NZ Long Range Hunting

Wonderful pictures & a good story. Nice set-up & great shooting.
Welcome to LRH!

Unread 10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Sincere thanks for an excellent post. I am sure everyone here would enjoy reading some details about your rifle. Wonderful images and a great story.
Welcome to this site, sure great to see you sharing this sport with your son. He is a lucky young fellow.
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the wonderful story and pictures. You fella's in NZ are pretty clever. I really like your packable bench. Telescopic legs for uneven terrain. That bench has to be aluminum, right?
And what's more, you guys sure can shoot.
Really nice to get stories from across the globe. I hope to hear more from you folks.

Best regards,
Unread 10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you enjoyed it.
Dick and Victor, the bench has a thin wall galvinised steel tubular frame 'cos it was easier to build that way, but still light enough to carry with pack straps fitted. I've got 2 boys, now aged 14 and 16 so I figure us 3 "packhorses" can carry a bit extra if it makes the shooting more accurate when you get there. The low height makes it extremely stable and rigid, and while not as comfortable as a normal height bench, it sure beats lying on the ground!
Ian, my other son Jamie got his 1000 yarder last year and its such a buzz having sons who love doing what I'm passionate about. Even my wife comes along sometimes, which makes for great family holidays! (She kicks our butts sometimes, maybe I'll have to post up that story sometime!)
This rifle is built on a NZ made 3 lug Barnard action with a 30" lilja barrel with a 1" muzzle. The stock is a McMillan A series and the action and barrel parrallel is glued in. The scope is a 5.5-22 NXS Nightforce. The chambering is my 3rd variation of an improved 7mm/404 Jeffery, using the superb RWS brass that really makes this cartridge perform. Capacity is about the same as a 7mm RUM, but the brass quality allows it to easily outperform the RUM.
The supressor is a NZ custom made unit, by Robbie Tiffen of
The 180 gn Berger VLD's work superbly in this gun, holding under 1/2 moa beyond 1000 yards and expanding and killing quickly at extreme range. They are pushed by 99gns of an Austrailian surplus extruded powder, ADI 2211, which is particularly temperature insensitive meaning I only have to worry about temperature effects on air density, not muzzle velocity. I recently tried the 200gn Wildcat ULD's in this barrel, but this 1 in 9" Lilja wouldn't stabilize them out to 1000 yards unfortunately.

NZ Longranger
Unread 10-09-2006, 03:15 PM

Welcome to LRH and thank you for the story and the pics. Give your son a big thumbs up for his shooting ability and to you for your willingness to involve him in this way.
Unread 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Welcome NZ Longranger I'm coming your way next year to Tar Hunt. I am coming to Liethin Valley Outfitters.
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

Welcome!Good shooting,pictures...