Re: now what?
I have the very same rifle in both .223 and .308. Like you, I will be building them up one step at a time.
1. Scope - choose a good one that matches your application. My .223 wears a 6-24x44 with target turrets. My .308 wears a fixed 10x40 with target turrets on a 20moa base because this rifle spends most of its time shooting 1k.
2. Float your barrel (which you've done)
3. Trigger - have it adjusted according to your application. Personally, my .223 will be shot from a set position most of the time so it will be adjusted to 2lbs. If it's a carry gun where you will be shooting from the shoulder often, adjust to 2.5 to 3lbs.
4. Stock - you have a lot of stuff to do and a lot of shooting to do before you get to this step. While you're working steps 1, 2, and 3, check out all the stocks you can. Then make a decision based on the your particular application. Because my .223 won't be shot much (I essentially bought it so my niece would have a rifle to shoot) I won't be changing the stock too soon. For my .308, I'll be shooting that rifle much more often and 99% of the time from a set-up prone position so I'll be going with the B&C A2 stock. There was much consternation in this decision but was ultimately decided when I was on a range one day and a nice guy let me shoot his .243 with the B&C A2. On a final note, please to not spend any time or money bedding the factory stock. It's a piece of junk so just change it if/when you want. I say this from experience with another remington rifle I had where I spent $165 in pillars and bedding in the factory stock - it was a waste of time and money.
5. Barrel - hopefully your rifle will shoot well with the stock barrel. (My .223 shoots .75moa with junk, factory ammo). If it doesn't, or you manage to wear it out, or it won't shoot with the bullets you want (your rifle comes with a 9 twist barrel so you should be able to shoot about any weight bullet you want - even the heavy 70+ grain bullets), then it's time to choose a reputable gunsmith and have a custom barrel installed.
Just my 2cents - hope it helps.
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Last edited by trebark; 10-02-2008 at 09:56 AM..