Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Novice: 7RM out to 600 yds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Novice: 7RM out to 600 yds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
.25MOA from a 7mm is some fine shooting. 1/2MOA has become fairly standard and I don't know how I'd get in any smaller. Hasn't stopped me from trying.
I use RL22, Retumbo, VhitaVouri 560, IMR 4831, and a smattering of H1000. Retumbo gives me good velocities with 168 VLD. 3050 or there about.

I have been using Federal 215 primers but I may have to try some non mag primers. They seem to be working for AJ.

AS previously stated I find that I have to bump the shoulder 1-2 thou with each resizing. My loaded round runout is usually 5thou but I quit turning the necks.

Scope wise I might check the want add here and on other sites. I've always wanted to try the supersniper 10 or 14x but never thrown down the cast. You really need something with ballistic turrents if you are going to try and shoot 600 yrds.
Thanks for sharing and confirming several things here....I appreciate it!!!

I'm not sure about the scope advise at this point and maybe someone will chime in regarding the scope I'm getting versus one with target TURRETS...Right now I haven't got a clue...

Unread 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaaa View Post
Thanks for sharing and confirming several things here....I appreciate it!!!

I'm not sure about the scope advise at this point and maybe someone will chime in regarding the scope I'm getting versus one with target TURRETS...Right now I haven't got a clue...
Ro, Target turrests are very nice to have but you dont "need" target turrets for 600 yd shooting. You dont even "need" target turrets for 1K shooting. If you learn how to use the mildots on the scope (fairly easy) that will work fine and it's much quicker than dialing target turrets. If you can afford and want to spend the money for tartge turrets, then get them. They are very nice to have. But if you get them, make sure you get good ones. If you dont get good ones, they will cause you trouble. If you want a scope with target turrets, I would recommend a NF 2 1/2 - 10 x 32. You can get them on Gunbroker for $1291 with rings.

Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x32 free rings : Scopes / Optics at GunBroker.com

or you might get a good deal on Ebay

If you dont want to spend the $$$ on a god scope with target turrets then stick to the Bushnell 3200. It will do well for you at 600 yds if you learn how to use the mil dots.

-MR
Unread 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

I like the Nikon Buchmasters series. I would also look at Sightron SIII, Leupold, Bushnell Elite 4200, the 3200 would be good, and the Nikon Monarch series. They all offer good optics for less money than Night Force. If you can afford the Night Force then go for that one.

The Bushnells are great scopes and have reliable clicks. My cousin has the 4200 Elite. I have two Buckmaster Nikon's because of the cost and they are reliable. I have the 4.5-14X40 w/ mil-dots and the 6-18X40 w/ fine cross hair and target dot. Good scope for little ground hogs at 1000yards. I don't rely on mildots and like to twittle my knobs for distance.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Unread 06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Bronze Member

Tank and MR...

Thanks for clarifying this for me again as others too and AJ mentioned once I learn how to read the mil-dots I'll be fine out to my distances...sigh of relief...this brother just ain't got that type of "kajinkies" in my wallet...

BTW I have confirmed that I have a 9 1/4 twist in my barrel so if I understand things correctly...A.O.K for the 160 grainers should I decide to go that route...

Aloha!

Ro
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

That would be correct Ro. Just so you know, you should be able to pickup the Nikons I mentioned for under $300. For the long stuff the the 6-18X40 with either mil-dots or target dot gets my nod. Don't forget to consider the rings and base. If you can make sure you get some decent rings to clamp down on the scope. I use Burris XTR rings and Warne Rings. Both snug up good.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

A 9 1/4 twist will be fine for any factory ammo. Like Tank said, get some good rings. You might think about a rail base also.

And last, you will want a range finder for shooting past 300 yds if you want to make accurate shots.

Good shooting

-MR
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Bronze Member

Tank and MR...

Thanks for staying with me on all of this....

I appreciate it!

Now I'll start getting my components for reloading and figure which scope to get of the ones made mention!

This is the best Forum I've ever visited bar-none as the help and comaraderie has been incredible and genuine!!! The EXPERTISE above anything I've ever imagined...easy-going folks who know what in heavens their doing! I commend you all gang!

It'll take me a couple weeks or so to get everything in order including a new job I got....but I'll be back and give a report of how I'm getting along!

I got the rifle and (100) WW Brass....

Now I need to get.....

Scope
Range-finder
Chrony
160 Accubonds
162gr A-max
RL-22
Remington 9 1/2 primers

....and get down to some serious and FUN load development

Thank you all for getting me well-acquainted with so much valuable information in this incredible discipline and sport...I'll never be the same!

And special thanks to AJ as he's answered many questions I had via PM and tonight a lengthy phone call...

I needed everyone of you to have the type of understanding that I do right now... I'm stoked to have your friendship and consider it my privilege!

Aloha and God Bless!

Ro