Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

not long range but worth a look

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Bronze Member

Re: not long range but worth a look

At what point during the deaths of the 3 animals you killed with 1 shot, did the bullet fail?

I guess I do not understand the complaint? Shoot them with a partition and get a small hole completely through the animal with minimal damage. Shoot a ballistic tip and blow one side of the deer in to pre made sausage? Tit for tat, the animal dies either way?

I guess I am having a hard time with a 100% killing ratio with a total of 5 steps taken after the report of the rifle??

What am I missing?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Yep!! thats what a head shot looks like!! did you have to track her? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
At what point during the deaths of the 3 animals you killed with 1 shot, did the bullet fail?

I guess I do not understand the complaint? Shoot them with a partition and get a small hole completely through the animal with minimal damage. Shoot a ballistic tip and blow one side of the deer in to pre made sausage? Tit for tat, the animal dies either way?

I guess I am having a hard time with a 100% killing ratio with a total of 5 steps taken after the report of the rifle??

What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

< quote anyway a fallow doe was in the sights and i went for a heart lung shot.she ran about 5 steps and went down, she was taken at about 70 to 80y.
on closer inspection the ammo was not performing very well it had exploded on the ribs and there was no exit wound.>

that is what i put in my post.
and the point you are not getting is that yes on this occasion the deer dropped fairly quickly. but with the bullet performance that i saw after i had groloked the deer was Les than good. i have shot deer with total devastation to there internal organs, and still had them run 200y so this could have been so much worse. if your bullet explodes on the ribs out side of the deer most of the bullets energy has been wasted braking ribs. not getting to the vital organs. and correct me if I'm wrong is not the vital organs that need to be hit.
so like i say not very impressed by the bullet performance.
and yes the head shots did the business but this leaves you with a very limited target.

and has i said in my post i was trying them out for a couple of rifles i am building so i can send them out with a load (factory ammo ) ready to go. and this ammo performed well in the range test but in my opinion very poorly in the deer dropping performance. as it could have been easy matter to go the other way and end up chasing a wounded deer all over the estate.

this is how i see it IMHO

i have never seen nosler with yellow heads.

thanks
Colin
Old 11-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Colin,

Congrats oh the kills, good shooting! Iíve also found BTís to be fragile at high velocity so I avoid using them in areas where a close shot is likely. Without proper penetration, it would be easy to lose an animal with a nasty wound. The BTís are colour coded by caliber; yellow=.277, green=.308,ectÖ Federal also loads the 130 grain Partition and the 130 TSX for the .270 WSM, perhaps one of those would best suit your needs.
Best of luck,
Dave
Old 11-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

thanks Dave
i will certainly take a look at them.
as i would hate to sell someone a new rifle and tell them hear is your round and you are good to go. then hear about a deer has been wounded and it was through bad bullet/ advice. this is y i tried them myself.

thanks
Colin