Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

not long range but worth a look

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

not long range but worth a look

hi all

went out on Sunday to see if we could get my m8s son his first deer. and i had some factory ammo i was going to try. and see if i could get myself my first fallow.

well my m8s son had his first opportunity to take a nice muntjac doe and was ready to take the shot and was given the go ahead by his dad and squeezed the trigger but nothing happened. he had left the safety on in his excitement. the muntjac did not leave a presentable shot again and was as you all know not hanging around.
but it wasn't long before the next muntjac buck showed. and this time the lad got it all right. and with his dads approval of the shot took a very good heart lung shot and he dropped on the spot. he was using a 243. it was not the best of heads but one he will remember for the rest of his life i suspect. sadly i have no pics off it as i was on the other side of the 70 thousand acer estate. but I'm sure they have.

me on the other hand was not having as good a day. i was trying out some different factory ammo and was given it by a shop for hunting deer. it was Federal premium in 270 wsm and the heads where nosler with yellow tips. i have never seen this type of heads before. anyway a fallow doe was in the sights and i went for a heart lung shot.she ran about 5 steps and went down, she was taken at about 70 to 80y.
on closer inspection the ammo was not performing very well it had exploded on the ribs and there was no exit wound. when i had dealt with it i found that there was very little damage to the internals. i was so pi$$ed off i forgot to take a photo of it as this could have gone so wrong. i decided to ether take the head shot or a neck shot from now on or to pass up the opportunity as i did on a few occasions.
i have head shot a quit a few deer and am confident in doing this.
and my next 2 deer where muntjac does one was taken @ 130y and the other was about 70y both where head shot. hear are a few pics

as you can see the bullet has not even damaged the other side of the head.
but on this side

hear is the deer of the day in the cooler

and hear is the young lad and his dad.

the total for the day was 7 and i had
1 fallow doe and 2 muntjac does
my m8 had 3 fallow does
and his lad had 1 muntjac buck

thanks
Colin
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: not long range but worth a look

Certainly a gruesome looking deer head. Seemed to be very effective though.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

hi buffalobob

as you can see by the pic there was not even pass through on the head shot.
i have been told that the heads i was using are the same as combined technology. and i was told that you have to keep them down to 3000 fps or you get this kind of result.
i will not be using them again.
i normally hand load,and was just trying them as i am having some rifles built,and was selling them ready to go,shooting factory ammo. they where shooting 1/2 @ 100 so they would have done the job. but seeing the results on deer its back to the drawing board.
thanks
Colin

PS there is no lublox coating on the factory as there is on the combine technology's
Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

The .277 Nosler Balistic Tips have the yellow tips and no coating.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

good shooting Colin.

well looks like the head shots were pretty effective in any case.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Looks like a nice productive hunt. The memories of time spent with father will be priceless to your son someday.

What's with the hides in the cooler? They are much easier to skin when still warm. I don't know anyone that will allow a hide in the cooler for sanitation reasons.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

hi

thats how we weigh them in at the game dealer.

thanks
Colin