Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

nosler's lr accubond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: nosler's lr accubond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
seem to have some hostility towards nosler..did nosler pick on you as a child?
I don't care who you are! Now that's FUNNY!!!No hostility toward you bigngreen, just a funny statement.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

For some unknown reason, my 6.5-06 AI just would not shoot the 140 gr. Berger or the 142 gr. SMK. Custom barrel with a 1-in-8 twist, but would only group .75 to 1.0 MOA with either bullet. However, the rifle loves the 130 gr. AB's with the .49 BC. I may have to try Nosler's new LR version with the higher BC.

Berger is coming out with a new Hunter Elite Hybrid bullet. I know that this offering provides no ballistic upgrade in some calibers. But the .277 caliber is another story. I had a chance to test some of these new 170 gr. bullets. Actual field results suggested a true, repeatable G1 BC of 7.0. That smokes everything out there, with the exception of the Wildcat bullets, which don't seem to be around much anymore.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
i loved the original accubonds because of their performance on game..but if these b.c.'s are correct they will definitely take over the hunting market! im sure they will have a pretty price tag on them but i hope they are here to stay. i miiiiiiiiiiight even be able to load those 190 or 210gr bullets to mag length without decreasing case capacity in my wsm.

now as for the 6.5's...i wonder why decided to go with the 129gr instead of 140? I am no engineer by any means but wont the 140 outperform the 129ers everytime at longer range?
As to the latter, the reason is simple. Nearly every 6.5/.264 rifle in production today has enough twist to stabilize the 130gr bullets, but a lot will lack the velocity or twist to stabilize the 140's or heavier bullets.

When you bring a new product on the market like this in order to pay off your development costs you put just those items out early in which will sell in large numbers.

If these bullets take off like I suspect they will I'd be willing to bet that within a year or two at most you'll see them putting out "heavy for caliber bullets" across the spectrum of calibers.

We have to remind ourselves occasionally, or at least we should, that LR hunters and shooters are a very small percentage of the total market.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

0.70$ a piece is a pretty nasty price..hopefully that's suuugggeesssted retail price! the accubonds are deadly killers so if their b.c. is even close to what they are advertising then count me in!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM

The real news here is they have a bullet that will now expand down to 1300fps. This alone adds range for the hunter. The 1300fps-3200fps is the biggest velocity window out there for a tipped AND limitited expansion bullet! All round great news, even if the BC's are way off.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Not hostile at all, I shoot a lot of Nosler product, just waiting to fall all over myself declaring them the greatest long range bullet of all time until I shoot them, or at least someone shoots them
Now, why on earth would you want to wait? Testing, phuey.....The ultimate LRH bullet search is over!! -ish....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbender View Post
The real news here is they have a bullet that will now expand down to 1300fps. This alone adds range for the hunter. The 1300fps-3200fps is the biggest velocity window out there for a tipped AND limitited expansion bullet! All round great news, even if the BC's are way off.

So it's ok that the unverified BC might be off... but what about the unverified expansion window? 1300fps is ACLU Lawyer low (if you catch my drift). Along with BNG, I will be watching from the sidelines for a good bit.

When something seems too good to be true.......

t

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

I can't wait to try the .284" 168gr's! My 7mmSTW loves the .284" Nosler Custom Comp 168gr HPBT's, and it also loves the 160gr Accubonds, so do all my 7mm's. I'm betting the STW will REALLY love the 168 Accubonds.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.