Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

nosler's lr accubond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: nosler's lr accubond

i loved the original accubonds because of their performance on game..but if these b.c.'s are correct they will definitely take over the hunting market! im sure they will have a pretty price tag on them but i hope they are here to stay. i miiiiiiiiiiight even be able to load those 190 or 210gr bullets to mag length without decreasing case capacity in my wsm.

now as for the 6.5's...i wonder why decided to go with the 129gr instead of 140? I am no engineer by any means but wont the 140 outperform the 129ers everytime at longer range?
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
have u guys seen these yet? their advertised b.c. is unbelievable!

.264" 129gr spitzer: 0.561
.277: 150gr spitzer: 0.625
.284: 150gr spitzer: 0.611
.284: 168gr spitzer: 0.652
.284: 175gr spitzer: 0.672
.308: 190gr spitzer: 0.640
.308: 210gr spitzer: 0.730! (still gettin over that one and the .277")

the most suprising thing is their 6.5' s arent as impressive as the rest. compared to their "regular" accubonds, these are pretty advanced! any thoughts?
The 129 6.5 is comparable to the BC of Swifts 130 Scirrocco with listed BC.571, Bergers hunting 130 listed at .552 on paper anyhow. If the 308 190 pans out my only question is do I put together a 30-06 around it or a 300 H&H
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

You can fairly easily judge what kind of BC their going to have by looking at what's out their in the same design and weight range. Berger has the most accurate BC out there, 270 cal 150gr is G1 .531 and the 7mm 168gr at .617, there is no way on earth that the Nosler is going to have a higher BC. The number they list for the 270 bullet is nearly what the 165 Matrix is and it's 15 gr heavier and a better design!!

I like having more choices and bullet to shoot but in no way, shape or form are these "revolutionary" or "game changers", we've had the Interbond and Sciroccos for quite some time. The Accubond LR is more Nosler finally catching up with where other have been.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
You can fairly easily judge what kind of BC their going to have by looking at what's out their in the same design and weight range. Berger has the most accurate BC out there, 270 cal 150gr is G1 .531 and the 7mm 168gr at .617, there is no way on earth that the Nosler is going to have a higher BC. The number they list for the 270 bullet is nearly what the 165 Matrix is and it's 15 gr heavier and a better design!!

I like having more choices and bullet to shoot but in no way, shape or form are these "revolutionary" or "game changers", we've had the Interbond and Sciroccos for quite some time. The Accubond LR is more Nosler finally catching up with where other have been.
I agree, and in addition at 0.70 a bullet their 65% more expensive that Berger and Matrix. To get the same level of repeatable exterior ballistics you will have to weight sort them at the very least. Since Nosler told me that they will be held to the same tolerances of their existing lines, I checked the bearing lengths. I found A variance of 0.004" in the same lot, I have weight sorted them to withing 0.1gr with those bullets of the same weight that I have sorted the bearing length was 0.002" or less variance. The heavier bullets had a longer bearing length. So IMHO opinion your paying a lot more for a bullet that won't get you on target any more accurately, you'll still need to go through the tedious task of sorting, to achieve the same level of down range (past 500yrds) performance. Not bashing Nosler just comparing them to what I have come to expect from a long range bullets made by the folks that have made the standard. Right now I don't feel that Nosler is meeting that standard, without the end user performing a lot off work you shouldn't need to, and at a greater cost.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post

seem to have some hostility towards nosler..did nosler pick on you as a child?
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

I will be giving the 7mm 175 grainers a try in my 284 win, i will start a thread on my findings once im done. Midway has the price of some of them on their website.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
seem to have some hostility towards nosler..did nosler pick on you as a child?
Not hostile at all, I shoot a lot of Nosler product, just waiting to fall all over myself declaring them the greatest long range bullet of all time until I shoot them, or at least someone shoots them

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"