Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Here is the link to the video

Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
You added a lot
I have not been able to find the 210 grain lrab for my 300 wby. to test yet. Some guys seem to be doing better than others with these bullets.. Not sure they were put in production just to compete with Berger. . That is all I was saying.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
It's pretty simple. The only way you are guaranteed to put the animal down where it stands is to break both shoulders and/or directly interrupt the CNS with a brain/spine shot. If you are just punching the ribs you will not get instant death and they will more often than not run some distance before bleeding out and/or the heart stops pumping.

No matter what type of game animal I'm shooting my preference is a broadside shot punching both shoulders and bisecting the spine. My other two are a head or neck shot. Hit them anywhere else and the odds are pretty high you are going to have to do at least some tracking because they will not die in place.
You are 100% correct ..This is my way of hunting forever . Take out the front legs and no tracking is required.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

From the video, it looks to me like the (first) broadside shot was likely just over the lungs and below the spine; in that void of flesh that contains no vitals. I've hit an animal or two there in years past, and the chase was on. Not sure I can blame bullet performance for that. I have also noticed from such experiences that when the first hit is not through vitals, it seems to take an inordinate number of follow up hits to dispatch the animal. Perhaps that's the result of the animal's body having time to generate a tremendous amount of adrenaline under those circumstances. I have not fired any LRs yet, but from the photos and video, I can't see anything wrong with the bullets' terminal performance. I would be very pleased to recover such a perfectly mushroomed slug as the one in the photo.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I am just glad through this to help someone make a decision to use them or to stick with their load. I hate the comments about you break the spinal column, or both front legs. That is great but we never have perfect condition's all the time to guarantee a perfect hit where the crossairs lay, with a good trigger brake to boot. So with me having something to cover your butt when stuff is not the best is worth a lot. I have stated repeatedly that this bullet needs tested further to prove it. I am not talking coyotes and little whitetails. I am talking moose, caribou, and elk size animals. I would have never wanted to shot a bull elk with this bullet if it preformed like this that day. I have confidence that the recovery may not have happened, or if there was thick cover. I showed all and the proof is there, may just have been the one in a million that had the desire to live.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

I shot every animal this year with a shot that affected the spine between the middle of the neck and the shoulder and only one did not require me to dispatch the animal when I got to it, ya they were immobile but very far from a clean kill IMO. If the wound channels are thin a spine shot is not lethal unless it's very far forward, if your wound channel cuts the dorsal aorta it's very lethal and any shot that goes under the spine should affect that artery if the bullet is creating a large permanent wound channel not just pushing a bullet through tissue.

Any shot that goes through the ribs should yield a stone dead animal upon retrieval with the proper bullet function IMO.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Took them out and shot them and seemed to match my drop in my g7 rangefinder for the 180 berger at .659 bc. I am not saying if the bc is the same for the lrab, because I did not chrony them.
You're assuming a lot with your exterior ballistics here. You stated multiple times that you and your buddy's shots were higher than point of aim. You probably would have benefited from figuring out your velocity at least. Velocity and BC preferably. More load testing to eliminate the velocity and BC assumptions could very well have prevented the high shots. I'd say you were pretty damn lucky to get your buck considering your use of a completely different bullet in a load developed for a 180 Berger. I'd have trouble blaming the bullet performance with the way your load was developed and tested.