Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

So, all of your longer shots were high. Sounds to me like they go out a bit faster than the 180 or have a BC higher than .659. Perhaps a little of both. It would be nice to here what your velocity and BC test out at. I'll be trying these exact LRABs in my 7mm in a couple weeks. How did you end up seating them and did you increase your powder charge at all from your 180 load?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
So, all of your longer shots were high. Sounds to me like they go out a bit faster than the 180 or have a BC higher than .659. Perhaps a little of both. It would be nice to here what your velocity and BC test out at. I'll be trying these exact LRABs in my 7mm in a couple weeks. How did you end up seating them and did you increase your powder charge at all from your 180 load?
No not all my shots were high. When I went out and shot before I went everything matched my 3020fps load with the 180 bergers .659b.c. I put the exact same powder charge, and used my dies setup for my bergers and loaded them. The drops worked to 1350 yards. So if the lrab have higher bc they would have had to been going slower. And if were going faster would have to have bc lower. All I know was the combination still worked. I am done shooting them for know. If something changes in the future I will use them, just not quite what I want or like.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

All I have to say is that sucks, no hunter or animal should go thru that but you did your job and you stuck it out to the end that's what matters.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the writeup! I am a little confused though. It looks like the bullet expanded well and penetrated well to, right? The only disappointment is that the deer didn't just flop over and die? Or am I missing something?

Have you had other experiences with another bullet that worked better or did something different? I am not at all trying to criticize, just trying to learn more about your experience. If it expanded correctly and penetrated well, you can't really ask for much more I would think...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
By the pictures it looks like the bullet performed as one would expect. Not unlike many bullets and placement, sometimes animals take longer to expire than wanted or expected. Congratulations on your hunt and thanks for taking the time to post your results. Successful=dead deer recovered.
Ditto. The bullets he recovered appear to have performed exactly as designed.

Unfortunately there are no "magic bullets". Shot placement is key even when bullets do perform exactly as designed.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Unfortunately there are no "magic bullets". Shot placement is key even when bullets do perform exactly as designed.[/QUOTE]

So where are the animals supposed to be shot in theory with a bullet that has questionable performance sometimes? Is it said you put it between ribs in side 300 yards, can touch a rib if 300-700, and if you are running 1300 fps or less you can shoot them in the shoulders?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Weren't the Long Range Accubombs supposed to be the Berger killer and make Bergers obsolete

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"