Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
By the pictures it looks like the bullet performed as one would expect. Not unlike many bullets and placement, sometimes animals take longer to expire than wanted or expected. Congratulations on your hunt and thanks for taking the time to post your results. Successful=dead deer recovered.
Not sure what quite to think of this. If you are saying the shot placement was not good, or he was tough or what? I don't know how the shot placements could have been better. He was also shot at varying ranges which gave different velocities. I never could see where the 735 went out of him, and he was broadside. Should have blew his spine and he was done.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting, I wonder if your observation of the wound channel could have something to do with it being bonded? Thinking maybe it limits the size of the mushroom.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Interesting, I wonder if your observation of the wound channel could have something to do with it being bonded? Thinking maybe it limits the size of the mushroom.
I was wondering if they are bonding just the back some how or what. It is mushroomed where the boatail is which also caused smaller diameter. Does not weigh much either. All I can say they hit really hard and and that is it. The entrance on the neck was baseball size going in and maybe .308 out.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

I would still like to see someone hit something at a range where the impact speed would be in the 1600fps range.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntthedistance View Post
Not sure what quite to think of this. If you are saying the shot placement was not good, or he was tough or what? I don't know how the shot placements could have been better. He was also shot at varying ranges which gave different velocities. I never could see where the 735 went out of him, and he was broadside. Should have blew his spine and he was done.
Animals can be tough even after taking out both lungs and heart. How many times have hunters stated they had to shoot animals more than once? I've been there myself. Three shots with a partition all thru the lungs to include one of the shots thru the heart. The deer stood there after two shoots looking at me as if nothing happened. After the third shot the deer ran off out of sight. When gutting the deer I couldn't believe the thing lived that long with three good shots and yet it still ran off. The bullets performed as expected, the deer didn't. It was a dead deer after the first shot but just didn't want to die as I wanted it to. It looks as if the LRABs performed as designed, same as the partitions above.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Animals can be tough even after taking out both lungs and heart. How many times have hunters stated they had to shoot animals more than once? I've been there myself. Three shots with a partition all thru the lungs to include one of the shots thru the heart. The deer stood there after two shoots looking at me as if nothing happened. After the third shot the deer ran off out of sight. When gutting the deer I couldn't believe the thing lived that long with three good shots and yet it still ran off. The bullets performed as expected, the deer didn't. It was a dead deer after the first shot but just didn't want to die as I wanted it to. It looks as if the LRABs performed as designed, same as the partitions above.
I follow that. I am sure it just didn't set right with you. And that is where I am at. The biggest thing with me is how hard these bullets hit and will penetrate. But after the hit seemed not to have much affect. Could just be bad test media, a unusual case. Eitherway I do appreciate all the input.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

When you want the option to shoot game out to 1450 yards with great accuracy. The perfect killing bullet that expands perfectly everytime at ranges from 50 to 1450 yards does not exist. Bullets have come a long ways in a short time... Maybe in a few short years someone will make the perfect bullet...Sounds like you at least had a fun time on your hunt even if it was kind of slow compared to what you had there in the past. Dave