Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I'm not a 308 shooter but I would guess the higher BC of the 210 would give it better performance than the 190. Also, my philosophy, especially when it comes to frangible bullets, is that Greater Mass + Lower Velocity = Better Terminal Performance.
I can't argue with that but I think this is a case of where paper ballistics look better than reality. While I am a fan of 210 class bullets in the 308, I have had better success (all things considered) with the 190 class bullets than the 210 class ran in my 308s. Maybe part of my mentality on this is because my 300 shoots the 210s so well. If I need a 210, I'll be using the 300 over the 308. One of my favorite things about the 308 is mild recoil. The 190s still offer great ballistic performance with mild recoil. I find the 210s kick me much harder especially when driven to velocities that makes using them worthwhile. If I'm going to take the abuse, I may as well make it count and make it worth my while. That is, just grab the 300.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Are you going to get a chance to this year or is the season already over for you?
Unfortunately, my season is done. Only bagged an antelope and that was with my 6.5x284/140VLD.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Most of the responses have been on 7mm or 30 cal. Has anybody shot the 6.5mm? There are decent cartridges in this caliber and would make a nice light rig.

On the reduced velocity. The forward velocity drops with range but the rotational velocity does not. This was pointed out by a shooting buddy back in 1973 (he designed missile guidance systems). The centrifugal force of the spin contributes a small amount to the expansion of the bullet. Not a lot but a bullet shot from a 308 and one from a 300 RUM when striking at the same velocity will not expand the same. It's not much but I'm told it's there.

WildRose, hope you heal well and soon.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
Most of the responses have been on 7mm or 30 cal. Has anybody shot the 6.5mm? There are decent cartridges in this caliber and would make a nice light rig.

On the reduced velocity. The forward velocity drops with range but the rotational velocity does not. This was pointed out by a shooting buddy back in 1973 (he designed missile guidance systems). The centrifugal force of the spin contributes a small amount to the expansion of the bullet. Not a lot but a bullet shot from a 308 and one from a 300 RUM when striking at the same velocity will not expand the same. It's not much but I'm told it's there.
That largely depends on the twist rate...
Old 12-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

True! There were military tests run years ago that demonstrated this. They fired the same 110 grain bullet out of an M1 carbine and the M1 ('o6). The carbine was fired point blank with a 2000 ish mv, and the M1 at a range which would duplicate the carbine velocity. The carbine had a 16 twist and the M1 a 10. Bottom line, the only variable was the much higher rotational velocity of the '06. The resulting wound channels were "dramatic". The '06 blew a far wider diameter hole in the gel. I have had people dispute this in the past, but I for one am convinced.......Rich
Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

Nosler isnt what it once was,dont waste your money.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks Kenni, I will, I always do. Just the cost of living a life at full throttle for about 30 years. The human body is like a car, if you jump in and mash the pedal to the floor and keep driving it that way for years, there is a price to be paid. I should be good for another hundred thousand miles or so though if I don't over do it and rush the rehab.