Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
Whoa! Just a personal choice are you sure about that? Last year you mentioned that you became a moderator on the Nosler forum.

You have over 18,000 post on the Nolser forum since 2004
Nosler Reloading Forum • Login

kind of like asking fox to watch the hen house. I'm a member on the Nosler forum also and I value your opinion on Nolser bullets since that's what I mostly shoot. I was just over their yesterday and Dr Mike help me out. I think in all honesty before you judge other bullets and make comment you should inform them about your ties to Nolser. I'm not sure how many read your post here about being a moderator and that came out because of the Nosler ABLR bullet topic.
Being a member of a forum or one of the moderators thereof are both personal choices too.

That doesn't make one an employee of the hosting company of the site.

Being loyal to products which have served you well does not make one blind to any failings you observe of that company's products.

Questioning the integrity of other posters here is in very poor taste.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Whoa! Just a personal choice are you sure about that? Last year you mentioned that you became a moderator on the Nosler forum.

Nosler Reloading Forum • Login

kind of like asking fox to watch the hen house. I'm a member on the Nosler forum also and I value your opinion on Nolser bullets since that's what I mostly shoot. I was just over their yesterday and Dr Mike help me out. I think in all honesty before you judge other bullets and make comment you should inform them about your ties to Nolser. I'm not sure how many read your post here about being a moderator and that came out because of the Nosler ABLR bullet topic.
So because he is a moderator of a forum he shouldn't share his opinion? Doesn't make much sense to me. It would be one thing if he was a rep and was actually being paid by Nosler to market their products. Even then he would have his reasoning and opinion though. That's like saying you shouldn't share your opinion because, as you just stated, you mostly shoot Nosler bullets
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Being a member of a forum or one of the moderators thereof are both personal choices too.

Being loyal to products which have served you well does not make one blind to any failings you observe of that company's products.

I was trying to figure out how to say something like that without being or sounding like an a$$hole.

You said it perfectly.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler long range accubond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
And this too concerning what can happen if the first shot doesn't do the trick. I have seen that one played out a time or two.
Agree! Once the adrenalin kicks in, its game on! Even though the detractors of long range may disagree, I think this is a good (plug) for shooting long range. I have yet to see an elk run when I've shot them at 1000 yards even though they make take a bit to tip over. They simply don't seem to know what happened and expire where they are shot. In other words, the adrenalin probably comes from fear, not pain. How many of you take off running when you have a kidney stone attack......Rich
Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Then POP's the kind of member I'd like to hear from. Nothing wrong with a member expressing their experience or opinion. I value that, particularly from longstanding members whom typically have many experiences to draw upon.

The problems begin (and more often than not persist) when members attempt to silence, control, or criticize others for sharing and expressing their personal experiences and opinions. Especially when they do so because their experiences, opinions, and product/brand loyalties differ.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post

Tell me how he's not bias and POP address that here when he mention that he was a moderator on that site and topic was about the Nosler ABLR bullets last year. He sure didn't talk about Berger bullets then and give his opinion.

I never mention his integrity I was question if he was bias might want to look up that word. Any way we all have different opinions
Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

This thread has been an excellent discussion on game performance of bullets, ethical shots, etc. Although it is broad I am humbled by how professional and thorough the information has been gathered and presented. Thanks to everyone.

But the question I keep returning to is: Are we at the point where we have broadened the envelope so much that we cannot hope bullets to perform across that envelope?

I ask because Wild Rose posted his solution as the two gun solution. Some others have suggested a two bullet solution. Is this what we are leading to? Are we expecting too much for our bullets to perform from the back yard to more than a kilometer away?

Back when we built the pyramids, the concept of the single solution was pushed. One load for all shots. The precept was you could learn this load so well the shots you made were dead nuts every shot. Following this line of reasoning I used a 30/06 with 180gr Sierra SpBT, 57gr 4350, Rem 91/2 LRM primer, WW case for every thing. Gophers to Elk. I know this load like I know my wife of 25 years.

I am now, at 59 years young, about to change. WildRose is going to what I see as the approach I am comfortable with, that is, two guns. At the very least the two bullet approach where the LR rifle is dialed in to the LR load and carry extra ammo loaded with the best close range (@ < 400yds) bullet and the scope adjustments to correct for it scribbled on the stock. Inside 400 yards it is close enough. Please do not take this as discounting anybodies opinion. Every thing posted so far is going into my permanent memory.

In P.O.Ackley's book was an article by a Surgeon who did terminal testing for the Military in the 1930's. They used hogs and goats, goats having bones very similar to ours. Very thorough and scientific. Even used armor plate with little holes to make sure the bullet went where intended and didn't waste a goat. His conclusion? Every shot was a snow flake. They never achieved repeat ability. Never.

Why should we expect different?

The best part of this thread is, across the board, everybody is seeking a load that, after launching the slug at our intended target and its arrival at that target, we have 100% confidence that it will perform as we want. That is a very good thing!

KB