Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #64  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MT
Posts: 731
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Interesting discussion. I致e been shooting Berger bullets for the past few years and mostly happy with shot placement. (all 300 OTMs or 230 Target). They performed as expected with the thicker jackets and in most instances quite well. On one shot this year the Berger connected with a deer just above the shoulder and below the spine. The bullet did not open up due to the short tissue travel distance and penciled thru the animal. The deer ran off but was recovered. I thought a bullet allowing for initial rapid expansion then holding together would have been a more suitable option for the shot placement on this deer. LRABs came to mind. Would the LRAB with rapid expansion cause a spinal injury dropping this deer? I believe much more likely with the LRAB than the Berger. I知 seriously considering loading LRABs for deer and antelope and keeping the OTMs/Targets for the elk guns. I値l be developing a load for a 7 RUM using the 175 LRABs. Quick initial expansion? I知 expecting this. Will there still be a portion of the bullet left to travel thru the animal after impact? I知 expecting this. I知 not aware of a perfect bullet for every situation and especially the perfect bullet for game sized antelope to elk.
__________________
Shoot CONFIDENT, Shoot SMART, Shoot STRAIGHT
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
POP POP is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: CHEYENNE, WY
Posts: 1,367
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Weren't the Long Range Accubombs supposed to be the Berger killer and make Bergers obsolete

No Sir.

The LRAB are suppose to give LR hunters a choice. In this case a premium bonded bullet with a high BC. In my opinion I would take these over bergers anyday based on on-game performance.

The "will not expand for 3" and then explode in the vitals" performance of a berger doesnot do it for me. Just a personal choice.
__________________
"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,781
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Interesting discussion. I’ve been shooting Berger bullets for the past few years and mostly happy with shot placement. (all 300 OTMs or 230 Target). They performed as expected with the thicker jackets and in most instances quite well. On one shot this year the Berger connected with a deer just above the shoulder and below the spine. The bullet did not open up due to the short tissue travel distance and penciled thru the animal. The deer ran off but was recovered. I thought a bullet allowing for initial rapid expansion then holding together would have been a more suitable option for the shot placement on this deer. LRABs came to mind. Would the LRAB with rapid expansion cause a spinal injury dropping this deer? I believe much more likely with the LRAB than the Berger. I’m seriously considering loading LRABs for deer and antelope and keeping the OTMs/Targets for the elk guns. I’ll be developing a load for a 7 RUM using the 175 LRABs. Quick initial expansion? I’m expecting this. Will there still be a portion of the bullet left to travel thru the animal after impact? I’m expecting this. I’m not aware of a perfect bullet for every situation and especially the perfect bullet for game sized antelope to elk.
It can help but you still have to be close enough to the spine to get the desired effect. Good expansion will always increase your odds vs one that pencils through.

Bullets that are designed though to give you that rapid expansion however can also shell out completely like little bombs if they hit something solid up close because of the very high level of retained energy.

Neither the LRAB nor the Sirocco's are designed for close shots, they are designed to give you the desired expansion at medium and long ranges.

Again we're back to the "there's no magic bullet" conundrum. I had similar luck with some Sicrocco II 180gr 30 cal's from a 300Rum and 130's from the 260 on sub hundred yard shots. I can't blame the bullets for that, It should have been expected. They didn't explode, they just flattened out completely and didn't exit on WT deer at close range. They did make it into the vitals with massive disruption but had the animals been able to run tracking them would have been awfully tough due to the lack of a blood trail.

What we might as shooters want to consider doing is to adjust our POI depending on range. Go for the Shoulders on the longer shots and go for the behind the shoulders heart/lung shots at shorter ranges with the Sirocco and LRAB's or simply set minimum ranges at which we are going to shoot period.

This is one reason why for most of my shooting I stick to the good old Interbond because I've just not had these types of issues with them at closer ranges.

The other answer is to set our LR rigs up solely for LR and have another handy for the short work and loads appropriate for each.

I know that for myself that's generally how I stay set up with the 6.8spc mini 14 in the truck along with carrying the .264wm, along with one of seven's or 300's.

For the horseback hunts I have planned for the big guys the next few years I've just made my mind up that I'll carry the 45/70 saddle gun at the ready and the 300Rum riding securely on the horse behind me so that I don't find myself in such a situation where I"m genuinely concerned about trying to make a close shot on a monster if it presents itself.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.

Last edited by WildRose; 12-06-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,388
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Interesting discussion. I致e been shooting Berger bullets for the past few years and mostly happy with shot placement. (all 300 OTMs or 230 Target). They performed as expected with the thicker jackets and in most instances quite well. On one shot this year the Berger connected with a deer just above the shoulder and below the spine. The bullet did not open up due to the short tissue travel distance and penciled thru the animal. The deer ran off but was recovered. I thought a bullet allowing for initial rapid expansion then holding together would have been a more suitable option for the shot placement on this deer. LRABs came to mind. Would the LRAB with rapid expansion cause a spinal injury dropping this deer? I believe much more likely with the LRAB than the Berger. I知 seriously considering loading LRABs for deer and antelope and keeping the OTMs/Targets for the elk guns. I値l be developing a load for a 7 RUM using the 175 LRABs. Quick initial expansion? I知 expecting this. Will there still be a portion of the bullet left to travel thru the animal after impact? I知 expecting this. I知 not aware of a perfect bullet for every situation and especially the perfect bullet for game sized antelope to elk.
In the minimal testing that I did with the 270 150 gr, there was always a portion left, but it was pretty small compared to the original AB and I never fired them at mag velocity....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pocahontas, AR
Posts: 897
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMAG2 View Post
From the video, it looks to me like the (first) broadside shot was likely just over the lungs and below the spine; in that void of flesh that contains no vitals. I've hit an animal or two there in years past, and the chase was on. Not sure I can blame bullet performance for that. I have also noticed from such experiences that when the first hit is not through vitals, it seems to take an inordinate number of follow up hits to dispatch the animal. Perhaps that's the result of the animal's body having time to generate a tremendous amount of adrenaline under those circumstances. I have not fired any LRs yet, but from the photos and video, I can't see anything wrong with the bullets' terminal performance. I would be very pleased to recover such a perfectly mushroomed slug as the one in the photo.
Possibly the best explanation I have seen in this thread.
__________________
You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 788
Re: Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP View Post
No Sir.

The LRAB are suppose to give LR hunters a choice. In this case a premium bonded bullet with a high BC. In my opinion I would take these over bergers anyday based on on-game performance.

The "will not expand for 3" and then explode in the vitals" performance of a berger doesnot do it for me. Just a personal choice.
Whoa! Just a personal choice are you sure about that? Last year you mentioned that you became a moderator on the Nosler forum.

You have over 18,000 post on the Nolser forum since 2004
Nosler Reloading Forum • Login

kind of like asking fox to watch the hen house. I'm a member on the Nosler forum also and I value your opinion on Nolser bullets since that's what I mostly shoot. I was just over their yesterday and Dr Mike help me out. I think in all honesty before you judge other bullets and make comment you should inform them about your ties to Nolser. I'm not sure how many read your post here about being a moderator and that came out because of the Nosler ABLR bullet topic.
__________________
Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pocahontas, AR
Posts: 897
Re: Nosler long range accubond and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Nosler long range accubonds. You picked on one tough deer! They do seem to get tougher after weathering a shot that doesn't quickly put them down and out. I think the adrenalin kicks into overdrive and the animal's physiology goes into survival mode, making them much more shock resistant - and enabling them to endure some incredibly damaging blows.

By the way, I think your pre-hunt preparation and markmanship on this buck were both good.
And this too concerning what can happen if the first shot doesn't do the trick. I have seen that one played out a time or two.
__________________
You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC