Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond. Any kills???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler long range accbond. Any kills???

Nope, haven't put them into anything with bones/blood or skin as of yet. They did get to 4 jugs at 10 yards. Completely redneck way of testing, but the same test at the same distance, the 264WM 140 AB at 3200, 300RUM 200 AB at 3250, 7mm WSM 160 AB at 3100, and the 270WSM 140AB at 3200 will only go 5 jugs.. Not saying it means a whole lot, other than the bullets do penetrate pretty well and stick together. I don't shoot any Berger's, so I haven't tested to compare.

Have a few friends that have taken elk and deer, no bullet recoveries on them at approx 200-250 yard shots.. Seems like they are performing as they were intended.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

I was all pumped for them and didn't have that good of results as I personally was hoping for. I am hoping was a fluke but can see the same results in what I had happen with some others. I will give them they hit really hard.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Would it make you worry if a 6.5mm 130 ab from a 6.5-284 at > 3000fps didn't pass through a 172 pound whitetail buck from SC at a distance of about 1 yard?

I killed my buck, dropped him at 60 yards with a pass through, with the first shot, walked up on him and he was still blinking so I put a second one in him at point blank and I recovered that bullet. I'm not sure what to think about that myself.
On noslers website they have a video talking about these bullets. About 45 seconds in they talk about penetration problems if you are too close with high BC bullets.

Are we as reloaders using them wrong in a situation under say 300 yards? I am way to unschooled on this, so I ask this question to learn and not point fingers.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM

In fact I found this on Noslers website FAQ for LRAB

It is important to note that the advantages of the AccuBond® Long Range don’t begin to play a role until the range begins to exceed 500 yards or impact velocity drops below 1800fps.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltruck View Post
On noslers website they have a video talking about these bullets. About 45 seconds in they talk about penetration problems if you are too close with high BC bullets.
Actually it says that the ABLR should eliminate that problem, which is found in other high BC bullets. That doesn't help, but just throwing it out there that Nosler isn't saying to not use them at close ranges.

As far as the FAQ section goes, I think that is 100% correct assuming you are comparing it to a similar Accubond or other bullet of similar weight. High BC numbers aren't really beneficial until you get out there a ways. Unfortunately, there still is no perfect bullet that can be used at 30 yards and 1,000+ yards and function the same. I think that was Nosler's goal with this, but we will have to see more results to decide one way or another I think.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Good thread. I'm very interested in the performance of the LRAB's, particularly the 210gr. After a few years of excellent terminal performance with the 140gr Berger VLDs, I'm not so satisfied with the 210 VLD Hunting Berger's at 2904FPS out of my 300WM. While they are superbly accurate well past 1000 yards, the performance on a half a dozen deer and antelope shot this season between 400 and 600 yards was poor. They were all chest shots and while the animals were killed and recovered, the hits were pass throughs with no expansion or internal disruption with the exception of a 30 caliber hole. I have some 210 LRAB's coming and was hoping I could achieve the same ballistic performance and accuracy with greater expansion on medium game.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

If any of you haven't seen my write up in long range hunting section, It is my experience with the lrab. I was not very pleased, but have not tested them much. And don't plan to. If I right now had to pick a good antelope, whitetail, coues type bullet this might be it. But to hunt coast to coast on crumbs of toast and have to rely on it, I need something a little better.