Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler long range accbond. Any kills???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler long range accbond. Any kills???

It has been a little disappointing not to see more kills with the LRAB. We didn't get the bullet in our neck of the woods until season was open and little time for a new load development. I will test the 7mm 175's for depredation season in late spring and summer of 2014.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

I loaded my 7mm 175's virtually identical to my 180 Bergers.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Just ordered some of the 28 caliber 175's from Cabela's. On-line they have a code for free shipping. See how they work. Bruce
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntthedistance View Post
I do agree just wondering if it is blowing up still or opening really well what is it going to do if driven hard and close on tougher skin animals?
With the type of shot he made here there's no chance that it blew up. You are talking about a wound track of 24-30" with penetration into the off shoulder but no exit.

This sounds like excellent performance overall both in flight and terminal performance.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
With the type of shot he made here there's no chance that it blew up. You are talking about a wound track of 24-30" with penetration into the off shoulder but no exit.

This sounds like excellent performance overall both in flight and terminal performance.

I am not nocking the flight or performance but if you would not mind take a minute or two and tell me your reasoning behind the bullet making a wound travel of 24-30". There is noting stated about shooting this little coues deer length wise. Neither are we talking about standing all over the bullet with velocity or energy. Not sure where you are coming from on this whole statement. I figure that a coues is less that 12" hide to inside off shoulder and everything blew or came apart there. Just was my thinking. I have a couple friends that are using the 7mm 150's and have not had any sort of penetration but all were whitetails and inside 300 yards. I want another option of bullets and have been up in the air on this one.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am not nocking the flight or performance but if you would not mind take a minute or two and tell me your reasoning behind the bullet making a wound travel of 24-30". There is noting stated about shooting this little coues deer length wise. Neither are we talking about standing all over the bullet with velocity or energy. Not sure where you are coming from on this whole statement. I figure that a coues is less that 12" hide to inside off shoulder and everything blew or came apart there. Just was my thinking. I have a couple friends that are using the 7mm 150's and have not had any sort of penetration but all were whitetails and inside 300 yards. I want another option of bullets and have been up in the air on this one.
The description I read is that the animal was quartering away. Bullet enters therefore about at the last rib or farther back in order to end up in the off side shoulder.

I realize that the Coues in some areas are about the size of big goats but that's still going to run in the neighborhood of 24", and 30" or more on one of the larger Coues. The Coues I've seen in SE NM and AZ are much bigger than those on the west coast.

When you look at Gelatin tests you will rarely see the wound channel going over 24" with most rounds.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. It makes me a little worried if at 810 with a 270 Winchester you cannot get through a coes deer. I have heard these bullets are blowing worst than a ballistic tip. A few animals are not enough information to judge. Maybe a few big bull elk and a moose wouldn't hurt.
Would it make you worry if a 6.5mm 130 ab from a 6.5-284 at > 3000fps didn't pass through a 172 pound whitetail buck from SC at a distance of about 1 yard?

I killed my buck, dropped him at 60 yards with a pass through, with the first shot, walked up on him and he was still blinking so I put a second one in him at point blank and I recovered that bullet. I'm not sure what to think about that myself.