Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler E-TIP extended range accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler E-TIP extended range accuracy

I have shot Nosler BT/ ET bullets for many years. Clear back to 1998. I say that because I went to Alaska and hunting caribou with my 3006 and 165 ET.

I used 180 AB BT Nolser in my 3006 now and at 500 yards, the max range I sent this rifle up for I had 1 MOA 5 shot groups. At 100 it shoots .38 3 shot groups. I have no experience with it at longer range. I set up 6.5-284 for LR hunting, primarily wolf.

Anyway, I have shot the Noslers in 165-180 grain in the 30 cal. and I used them exclusively in my 220 in 55 gr. I realize that is not a LR caliber but for varmints that rifle was deadly to 500 on priarie dogs and yotes.

Personally I really like Nosler as I had great luck with the bullets. My 6.5 shoots 140 Berger VLDs due to the higher BC in the 6.5 line up.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

I have shot the Etips out of a 7 wsm they were very accurate. I personally have not shot a animal with them my shooting partner has and loves them. I think the min velocity on them is 1800fps or 2000fps cant remember for sure but its something to look into if u r going to shoot long range animals.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

They advertise down to 1800 fps. I would probably go a little higher myself.

E-Tip — Nosler

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 AM

Anybody tried the 150gr out of their .308's?

How was the performance on game?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinproud View Post
Anybody tried the 150gr out of their .308's?

How was the performance on game?

Thanks
We measured the G1 BC of the 150 grain ETip in .308 to be 0.324, which is much lower than Nosler's claim of 0.469. With a BC this low, we determined that there are much better bullet choices for hunting with a .308, even at moderate ranges.

See: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a555975.pdf

One other concern is that Nosler only uses 10% expansion to determine the lower limit of their expansion window. A .308 bullet that has only expanded by 10% is only .339 inches in diameter, so we felt that 2200 fps is a much more reasonable estimate of the lower velocity needed to achieve adequate expansion.

The combination of a much lower BC than advertised, and a higher expansion threshold make this bullet a poor choice for anything but short range applications.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Courtney View Post
We measured the G1 BC of the 150 grain ETip in .308 to be 0.324, which is much lower than Nosler's claim of 0.469. With a BC this low, we determined that there are much better bullet choices for hunting with a .308, even at moderate ranges.

See: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a555975.pdf

One other concern is that Nosler only uses 10% expansion to determine the lower limit of their expansion window. A .308 bullet that has only expanded by 10% is only .339 inches in diameter, so we felt that 2200 fps is a much more reasonable estimate of the lower velocity needed to achieve adequate expansion.

The combination of a much lower BC than advertised, and a higher expansion threshold make this bullet a poor choice for anything but short range applications.
Really? I cant believe its bc is so low considering its a longer bullet then the ballistic tip (bc .43) Will have to shoot both at the same velocity and see which drops more at long range.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinproud View Post
Really? I cant believe its bc is so low considering its a longer bullet then the ballistic tip (bc .43) Will have to shoot both at the same velocity and see which drops more at long range.
The 150 grain E-Tip in .308 has a different boat tail angle and length, a different ogive, and is not really analogous to the NBT in any way, so I'm not sure why you think it will yield a higher BC. But probably the factor that increases drag the most is the pronounced shoulder or step discontinuity between the plastic tip and the front copper portion of the bullet.

In spite of some expectation that longer bullets should have higher BCs, this expectation is not realized in most copper bullet designs, even though they are roughly 20% less dense, thus ~20% longer for a given weight and diameter. For example, the 150 grain NBT has a BC advertised at 0.435. For comparison, the Barnes 150 grain TTSXBT has an advertised BC of 0.420 and the Hornady 150 grain GMX is advertised at 0.415. The Nosler claim of BC = 0.469 for their E-Tip would be exaggerated even if the shape was as aerodynamic as the comparable Barnes or Hornady copper bullets, but the shoulder and the suboptimal boat tail make it even worse.

Then you should consider that Nosler also exaggerates the BC of most of their Ballistic Tip bullets also. The published Litz measurements average around 6% lower than Nosler's claims, and the Litz measurement for the 150 grain NBT is a G1 BC of 0.406, much lower than the Nosler claim of 0.435. We measured the BC of the 150 grain NBT to be 0.381. We've corresponded with Bryan extensively to understand possible reasons for differences between his measurements and our and we've concluded that various factors probably contribute to differences between our measured BCs, including: 1) Different lots of bullets can vary dimensionally. We've seen 13% difference between the different lots of a given bullet (same rifle, same measurement method, same intial velocity). 2) Different barrels or changes to a barrel like polishing can shoot the same bullets with different BCs (same lot, same initial velocity, same measurement method). 3) BC can vary slightly with velocity.

Measurements by both Bryan Litz and by us suggest that Barnes measures relatively accurate BCs and that differences between Barnes' advertised BCs and independent measurements are both high and low so that the Barnes BCs do not seem to be systematically exaggerated as the Nosler BCs seem to be.