Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nosler E-TIP extended range accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Nosler E-TIP extended range accuracy

Has anyone tried the E-TIP at extended ranges (5-600)? Big fan of their AB's and BT's but never shot the E-TIPS. Concerned with accuracy and long range low energy performance. I tried the barnes years ago and the best I could get was 1.5" groups at 100. The 270 Win in question will shoot half inch groups with the other Noslers. Terminally the barnes were awesome at close range on a spike elk.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler E-TIP extended range accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 105Coues View Post
Has anyone tried the E-TIP at extended ranges (5-600)? Big fan of their AB's and BT's but never shot the E-TIPS. Concerned with accuracy and long range low energy performance. I tried the barnes years ago and the best I could get was 1.5" groups at 100. The 270 Win in question will shoot half inch groups with the other Noslers. Terminally the barnes were awesome at close range on a spike elk.
You may want to try a few E-tips at short range first. I could not get acceptable groups in any one of the several rifles that I tried them in. IMO, the Barnes TSX bullets are much easier to work with.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 AM

THX> I will but I don't have them yet. They are provided by AZ game and fish to try to reduce the lead the condors eat in gut piles. I still have some of the barnes I tried years ago because my rifle didn't like them. Was hoping these might be better in my rifle.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 105Coues View Post
THX> I will but I don't have them yet. They are provided by AZ game and fish to try to reduce the lead the condors eat in gut piles. I still have some of the barnes I tried years ago because my rifle didn't like them. Was hoping these might be better in my rifle.
My guess is that the lack of grooves which allow for displacement of copper as the rifling engraves the bullet shank is the problem. But that's just a guess. You may want to try the Hornady GMX bullet which is similar to the Nosler but has the grooves like a Barnes.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Bronze Member

Greetings,
Did you try adjusting your seating depth on the Barnes. I too have a 270 (Rem 700) and I get 1/4" groups with TSX's. I initially got about an inch with them going with an overall length of 3.34. Did the testing and now they are my best shooting load out of that rifle.

I would suggest looking at the Berger seating depth test on this forum (sticky) if you aren't sure how (I wasn't, it opened my eyes to just how much more I could get-I'm a rookie). It didn't take long to find the sweet spot.

Good luck,
Shane
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 PM

I tried the older barnes before the tsx. I may not have tried real hard with them since at the same time I had the 150 partitions that would shoot half inch five shot groups. I only shot the elk with them as I was curious to see how it would perform. he was 75 yards and was down before i could shoot again. All four petals broke off the bullet and i recovered it in the off shoulder.

I read some good things about the etips today so i am going to try them. Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

I used to shoot the 180 E-Tips in my 300 RUM. I worked up loads for the E-Tips, 200 AB's and 210 Bergers in that rifle and the E-Tips shot slightly better than the other 2. Best 3 shot group @ 427 yds was 1.8" (.4 MOA). Shot them with .5 accuracy to 500 and 600 yds in that particular rifle.

Later I found Cutting Edge (monometal lathe turned) bullets to be more accurate and easier to load for.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams