Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Sponsor

Re: NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

I have used the 200 gr. accubond for nearly a year now in my 300 RUM, 92.0 gr. RL-25, have also had good performance from H1000. I shot a bear at 643 yards, dropped like he was hit by lighting. Bullet performance was impressive, Jeff Huber at Nightforce used the same load in a rifle I built him to anchor an elk at over 600 yards and his partner used the same rifle to take an elk at just over 500 yards, both 1 shot kills. My only regret with the accubond line is that they dont make a .338 VLD version weighing in at 275 to 300 gr for my 338 Edge. i would recommend the 200 gr accubond in a MAG caliber for just about anything.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 09-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Shawn C.

I have been playing with an extreme range rifle I built for myself chambered for the 338 Kahn. I have been getting 3000-3050 fps with very comfortable loads using the 300 gr ULD from Wildcat Bullets and I getting the neck tickness tuned perfectly for this rifle.

What is your 338 Edge? What case is used and what performacne levels are you getting. The big 338's are very impressive at extreme range.

Any inforamtion on your big 338 would be very interesting reading!

Thanks,

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

This is real good info you guys ! Another question are you finding much difference in the rate off bullet drop in the 200 gr accubond compare to the 180 gr or even the 175 gr smk. The little bit of testing that I did did not show a great deal of difference . If you were shooting something in the size of a elk it looked to me like you could almost use the same drop chart for all these bullets . I only tested out to 500 yards would anyone have more info on 500 plus yards ? If anyone has a drop chart I would be very interested in comparing it to mine . Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

JDJones375,
OK, getting back to the performance of the Accubonds, in the space of 8 days I have seen a doe antelope taken at 949 yards and a 360 class bull elk taken at 25 yards with the Accubond bullets. Both bullets caused major damage and opened a gaping wound channel. The mushroom looked awesome and they retained a high percentage of weight. I would have to say that we finally have a bullet that can handle sizzling velocities of magnums at close range on big animals, and expand reliably on smaller game at extreme range. Nosler is back on top!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

"............. 949 YARDs FROM A .300 WIN MAG. THE BULLET WAS THE 180 GRAIN ACCUBOND. IT PUT A TENNIS-BALL SIZED HOLE THROUGH THE SHOULDER BLADE ON ONE SHOT, AND COMPLETELY REMOVED THE HIP JOINT ON ANOTHER SHOT!......."

So let me get this straight. The bullet performance was so good that you had to hit a doe sized speed goat TWICE to put it down?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Hoodcounty,
I should not even dignify your pessimistic post with a response, but I'm going to anyway because I need to defend the shooter in this case because it was not me. I was videoing the hunt for proof of distance while my hunting partner was shooting. His first shot would not have killed the doe immediately because, as I said, it was in the hip joint. So were we to give up at that point and hope she died so that we could say it was a one shot kill? I don't think so. Especially not while the video was rolling. Do you know how many people would have got upset knowing that we let a wounded animal lie? Keep in mind that the majority of people that will watch this video are already questioning the ethics of doing what 90% of the people on this forum probably do routinely. A second shot was necessary to harvest this doe, and I was merely stating that both hits showed remarkable damage for the said range. I don't care if you hit her with a 50 bmg at that range, a non-lethal shot is a non-lethal shot regardless of the bullet or caliber involved.
Man, that was a waste of internet ink. I could have been loading bullets instead of answering that post!

[ 09-21-2004: Message edited by: goodgrouper ]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:36 AM

I realize we are all in this together but one must be careful what one posts on the "net"

exactly why TV might be questionable or not a good idea without careful editing....

anywho.. we are going on a speedgoat hunt in few days...
quite a few members from here actually.. I know I am loading some accubonds for my buddy because we had great results from them last year... so we'll see how they perform this year...