Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

MOVE OVER SCIRROCOS, THERE'S A NEW KID IN TOWN. NOSLER HAS PROBABLY JUST INTRODUCED THE ULTIMATE BULLET FOR THOSE WHO PREFER THE LONG SHOT ON ALL CRITTERS BIG AND SMALL! I SAW THESE BABIES IN ACTION ON A DOE ANTELOPE HUNT IN WYOMING THIS WEEKEND AND I WAS VERY IMPRESSED AT THE PERFORMANCE. THE SHOT WAS FIRED AT 949 YARD FROM A .300 WIN MAG. THE BULLET WAS THE 180 GRAIN ACCUBOND. IT PUT A TENNIS-BALL SIZED HOLE THROUGH THE SHOULDER BLADE ON ONE SHOT, AND COMPLETELY REMOVED THE HIP JOINT ON ANOTHER SHOT! I WAS WORRIED THAT AT EXTREME RANGE, THESE BONDED BULLETS MIGHT NOT OPEN UP ENOUGH BUT NOW I HAVE NO FEARS. THEY WORK JUST LIKE THERE SUPPOSED TO-AND NO MORE WEIGHING OF BULLETS PRIOR TO RELOADING LIKE THE SCIRROCOS. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I STILL LIKE SCIRROCOS, BUT EVEN AFTER WEIGHING I STILL GET SOME FLIERS. NOT THE CASE WITH ACCUBONDS. ALL HIT WHERE INTENDED AND THE WEIGHT VARIED LESS THAN ONE-TENTH OF A GRAIN!

[ 09-15-2004: Message edited by: goodgrouper ]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

Yes, the accubonds have performed well in my rifles also. I think you acccidentally hit your CAPS LOCK.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

GoodGrouper,

I agree that the Accubond may be the best extreme range factory offered hunting bullet around. That being that it was actually designed for hunting.

I have gotten very impressive results with this new bullet. In fact I will replace all my rifle loads using the Ballistic Tip with these new versions in the calibers they are offered in.

I have seen difference in accuracy and velocity potential between the two adn teh Accubond provide much better on game performance.

They just need to hurry up an offer then in the smaller 6mm, 257 and 6.5mm calibers soon.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-20-2004, 09:02 PM

Great , good expansion on a small critter but how do ya'll think it'll hold up on say Elk out to 500Yds launched at the 300Win mag speeds?

What is the BC of the 30cal Accu-Bonds ??
Old 09-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

JDJones75,
the B.C. on the 308cal.Accubond 180gr.is
supposed to be the same as the Ballistic Tip
.507, it might in reality be slightly different as my Accubond's are .020 longer
than my Ballistic Tip's but that might just
be a typical lot to lot variation. as far as
performance a bullet is only as good as it's
placement,you put this bullet in a 300wm at
3100fps and place it in the right spot on an
ELK at 500yard's GAME OVER !!!!!!!!!
B
Old 09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

JDJones75,

To be honest, at 500 yards, I would feel totally confident aiming a 180 gr Ballistic Silvertip into the chest of a bull elk.

THere are certainly better options out there but at that range, the velocity will make the bullet perform very well. I would by no means intentionally aim to take out an onside shoulder but I would hold on the off side shoulder.

As far as the Accubond, in all the testing I have done with expansion and penetration, it compared extremely well to the partitions of equal weight, in both weight retention and penetration.

Personally I would opt for the heavier 200 gr version if hunting elk but that is just my opinion. I feel either Accubond in 308 would perform extremely well on elk size game from a 300 Win Mag out to 500 yards.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Bronze Member

Hi , I just started shooting the 200 gr. accubonds and am finding them not as accurate as the SMK , but way better than the sciroccos. I am curious as to what kind of powder everyone is using . I have been using H1000 .