Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Northern Canada Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Re: Northern Canada Moose Hunt

Hi Lerch,
There's lots of bush where you are going, it will probably be a close shot.
The weather is nice (for us)and country beautiful at this time. It has been raining on and off, but 20-C during the day and almost 0-C at night.
How are you getting to Buffalo Narrows?
If you are going through Prince Albert and want a heavier bullet, I will give some 200gr. accubonds. Your 150gr. should do the job, the moose will just stand there for a couple seconds unless he gets scared off from you shooting from 50m away.
If there is anything you need, just let me know.
TK
Old 09-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

hey lerch
youll be so close, id use the 200gr round unless it shoots over 12 inches at 100 yards, wich i doubt. you could even load a 200grainer for first round in the boiler, and a 150gr for the second shot wherever you want it to go

Happy hunting!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 AM
SPONSOR

Well tommorrow is the day. We leave Oklahoma at 7.00 A.M. and should arrive in Saskatoon a little after 12:00 noon. We are gonna stay the night there and drive to Buffalo Narrows the following day. From there we board a float plane and fly about 2 hrs north to God's country.

Thanks for all the kind words and hopefully in a week or two I will posting some pics of a big ass Canadian moose.

Take it easy
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

Buffalo Narrows: Issued 4.00 PM CST Friday 2 September 2005
Tonight Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thunderstorm overnight. Low 11. Saturday A mix of sun and cloud. High 20. UV index 4 or moderate. Sunday Sunny. Low 11. High 19. Monday Sunny. Low 7. High 17. Tuesday Sunny. Low 7. High 20.

Good luck on your hunt. The weather looks pretty good for now. I agree you'd be better served by a heavier bullet for Moose, like a 200gr. The 150 should work for broadside heart/lung shots.

Have a great trip and I hope you have some pictures to post when you get back of yourself with a large mature Canadian bull moose.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:16 AM

I am going to Alaska on my first ever moose hunt in a week. My good friend and I are staying with his brother/sister, and doing this DIY (no guide). I'm taking my 300WSM Sako Finnlight 180 Partition doing 2900. Anyone have any experience on the Kenai peninsula with moose?

I've killed a lot of deer, but nothing any bigger, so answer me this....WHAT IN THE WORLD WILL I DO WITH A 1500 POUND OVER-GROWN DEAD COW AFTER THE RUSH IS OVER? Any websites I can read about quartering, de-antlering, etc?

Any chance I can just lead it to the steps of a butcher shop before I pull the trigger?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

be careful of that shoulder shot. I hit my Alaskan with a hot 250gr from my 338 winmag after the boiler maker shot and all it did was tear up meat. I would stay with the heart lung shot unless he is headed for open water.

Lafe, good luck I did the exact same thing for my hunt I was with 2 other guys after I shot my bull they decided that they weren't going to help me. WHAT A OVERWELMING SCENE THAT WAS. At first I was lost (and I have killed numerous big elk) then I just got to work. The big change for you is that you have to take the whole carcass out when i hunted you were allowed to debone the meat. Good luck and if I had it to do over again I would have left the other guys with me there for bear bait. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
There is a bull moose for every bend in the river so don't get yourself too far unless you have too. Oh and take a BIG saw. my small wyoming saw was a little on the small side needed the bigger one. If you need any info let me know
TODDRAY@Justshootn.com
Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the words, bigbear. Like I said, I am totally new to moose hunting, so anything helps.