Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Northern Canada Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Northern Canada Moose Hunt

Lerch,

Good luck on your hunt. I am sure you wont be dissapointed. PLEASE let us know how it went when you return.

I think you have the right idea of putting a bullet in the heart lung area. Esspescialy with 150's. I used to think that moose were not tough and died very easy. For the most part they do. If you take a double lung shot they wont go more than 10-30 yards. If you try to "break em down" I think you will be dissapointed. I put two 200 grain accubonds through my last mooses shoulders and while his whole body shook and he reacted as if he were hit super hard, the only thing that could take him down was 2 more through the lungs. I made the mistake of trying to "anchor" him and it didnt turn out as expected. I have never seen a moose go very far after the double lung shot. Like you said, put one there first, then worry about anchoring him.

Let us know!!

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Here is a good read from the Alaska dpt of fish and game on moose. Some include recomended shot placment.

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...=hunting.moose

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Writers Guild

Despite their size, moose are not particularly tough to put down. yes, all animals can run after being hit but moose are less likely or as far as compared to a whitetail/elk.

Put the bullet in the lungs. Let the animal fall over. It soon will if the lung/heart shot is proper. Discuss this with your guide as all will have different approaches.

hitting in the shoulder just wastes a lot of very delicious meat. Three legged moose travel almost as well as a four legged variety. A neck/head shot would be more to my liking for a second shot. Even another into the boiler room.

Of the "deer", the moose is the largest and easiest to put down, the whitetail is the smallest and most flighty.

However, let the moment make your decision. Just a Canuck opinion.

As to your load, I also agree that a bullet going that fast better be used in the boiler room unless far enough away to slow down under 2800fps. 2500fps better still. Trying to break bone may not work out as well on a really big donkey. You would have been better off with a heavier bullet and/or a slower combo.

Jerry
Old 08-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

lerch,
i've killed a doz moose, all in Sask. and there are 2 things i can tell you about them.#1,they aren't very hard to kill.shoot em in the chest with anything and they're dead.they'll probably stay on their feet for a while,you can shoot em a few more times if you like,won't make any difference in fall down time.i've heard several indians say they just shoot em in the guts with a 22LR and come back in 3-4 hours and it's layin somewhere close by. #2, their head and top of neck is as big as a small deer.most of the moose i've killed i shot in the head.doesn't seem to matter what bullet/cartridge combo you're using,shoot em in the head,they're down!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:07 PM

Hi Lerch, where in Sask. are you going?
Just wondering since I live in Northern Sask.
There's a good chance your shot should be under 200yrds.
TK.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:08 AM
SPONSOR

We fly out of Buffalo Narrows on a float plane to Lake Vermillion, or a lake near it. ANy tips on what the weather will be like????

Thanks
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

Lerch, Im with Jerry on this one. Ive shot more moose than Id care to carry out in a week. Go for the lungs. Way less meat damage and thats a pretty small bullet you got there so slow it down a tad or risk it blowing up and doing squat. Practicly every moose Ive shot I put it through both lungs and Ive yet to see a moose with both boilers gone go more than 20 or 30 yds. You hit the front shoulder and you might as well leave the whole front half in the bush. If you know you got a good shot through the lungs then either have a smoke and wait or if you feel like it put another through the toque right at the ear lobe.