Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Northern Canada Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 10:34 AM
SPONSOR

Northern Canada Moose Hunt

I am leaving this saturday for a moose hunt in northern Saskatchewan for a 12 day hunt, 9 days in camp.

I have watched the success of meichal, dont think I spelled that right, and I am hoping for some success of my own.

I am going against the grain here and shooting a skinny barreled factory savage 300rum with factory Remington 150gr Scirocco's. I would have liked to have shot the 180gr bullets but the gun hated them, the 150 will shot about .75 average. I would have loved to have taken the 270 Allen Mag but we had to send in our serial #'s months ago to the airport and I didn't have the gun at that time.

I was planning on going for a high shoulder shot and trying to anchor the big animal on the spot but I think I am gonna reconsider. I have spoke with several people and watched tons of video of moose hunts and it always seems that everybody gets at least 2 shots.

My plan will be to send the first bullet into the lung heart area for a guaranteed eventual kill, and then I am gonna try to dump that SOB with shoulder snapper.

If anyone has any advice on anything I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Northern Canada Moose Hunt

Take this for what it’s worth since I’ve never shot anything bigger than a 6 point bull elk, but…………….

If it was me the shot would probably be dictated by the animal’s position and angle to you plus the terrain and brush or lack of brush.

A moose is a very big animal and will take a hit pretty well. Hit him through the lungs and he will probably move off although there’s always the possibility he will just stand there. Either way you will probably have to make a follow up shot.

Hit him in the shoulder properly with the right bullet and you stand a chance of dropping him quickly or at least keeping him from having the mobility to move into the brush.

If he’s in fairly open country then your lung shot would work, eventually, and you would have a good opportunity at a follow up shot but remember that your follow up shot may be on a moving animal. But I’d bet that with a lung shot you will have to make a follow up shot unless you just plan on watching him until he expires.

If it was me, and this is just my opinion, I’d go for the high shoulder, hump shot and try to anchor him or at least immobilize him in case a follow up was needed.

Whatever shot you take just don’t “admire your shot”. By that I mean make the shot and then immediately get ready for another if needed. I’ve seen too many people admire their shot, with the empty still in the chamber, and the gun lowered to their side, only to have the animal run off and they couldn’t make the follow up shot. Then the fun begins.

Make a good shot and enjoy your trip Steve, I’m sure it will all turn out o.k. and you’ll make the right decision. For what it’s worth, just my $.02 worth………….
Old 08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
SPONSOR

I am defninaltly planning on making a quick follow up shot.

i was really planning on going for the high shoulder shot initially but after talking to several guides and Richard Graves I think I am gonna first put one in the boiler maker.

I also think the 150gr bullet would not be my first preference for trying to break both shoulders of a animal this large. I have no doubt on the toughness of this bullet, but for both shoulders I would have wanted some of Richards 200 plus grain heavy jacket bullets.

The guide said our shots should be pretty close so we will see how much thump these factory RUM loads have.

Thanks
Stevve
1-800-522-3314
Old 08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

It’s a little late in the game to think about another bullet, so if it’s gotta be the 150 Sciroccos, then go for the lungs. Even with a bonded bullet that’s awfully light to think about the shoulders of a moose.

Properly placed through the lungs, they’ll do the job and you’ll be eating moose steaks in no time at all.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your trip and hunting experience.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:14 PM
SPONSOR

I am gonna put the first round in the vitals, number two is gonna either break the front shoulder, doubt it would make it through to the far side shoulder blade, or it will shock the spine.

Either way he is gonna die from some vital wounds and he is gonna have a hard time walking after I am done with him. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch,

For what its worth......

Did a young bull in a number of years ago. Don't know live weight. 4 qtrs hanging in butcher shop were right at 400#.

First shot took its heart out. Had no visible affect on the animal.

After while he fell down and then got back up. Next shot went through both shoulder blades and completely penetrated the animal. In fact so did the first shot.

Both shots were @ 60 yds. Cartridge was 270Win. Bullets were 130 Sierra spbts @ 3200 fps mv. Both shots were amazing. First one, that it took out the heart with zip/ziltch affect on the animal. Second one that that little pecker wood bullet would give complete penetration through both shoulder blades.

Good luck and just keep shotin' till its down.......
Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

How short is short to the guide? The reason I ask is those light swifts don't hold together as well at those high velocities. I took a doe this year at 75 yards with 300 RUM 150's. The bullet hit a rib turned 80 degrees straight up and cut the spine backwards. the bullet was recovered base out right under the skin above the spine. You know how fast that 300 RUM is, if your shots are under 200 yards, go with the bullet that will work the best (keep it in minute of moose heart) unless you are going to blow his fool head off you dont need the <1 MOA accuracy (sure its nice but are you risking more with a bullet that WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR MOOSE) I talked to Swift, they recomend 150's for deer, and 180 for Elk. Just for the record, I do use 180's on deer at long range >300 yds and they work supperb because they have slowed down enough to function very well.