Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Noob needs advice on where to start...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Noob needs advice on where to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I have six Tikka T-3 Lights. Three I have shot extensively to 800 yards.
I have read tons and tons of good things about Tikkas being exceptionally good value for money out of the box. How hard is it to get aftermarket stuff for Tikkas being an import?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjoe View Post
I have read tons and tons of good things about Tikkas being exceptionally good value for money out of the box. How hard is it to get aftermarket stuff for Tikkas being an import?
Mechanically there are upgrades and things you can do to them, however it is limited. There are a couple of manufacturers for stocks. They are hard to re-stock w/o paying a premium. I found some stocks on 6mmbr.com and accurateshooter.com. You could probably go there and do a search as well as google it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
If you're interested in determining whether or not you're interested in 'long shots', why not make some investment in your current '06? If you reload, you have great choices in bullets and can send them at reasonable velocities. You could use the platform to shoot targets and varmints out to 1k.

Once you develop some experience, you will have a better foundation to make decisions about a new rig dedicated to longrange shooting that can take elk at 600yards (think 300mag or bigger!).

So tell us about your current rifle, then we can give you some advice on upgrades to it. To give you some ideas of inexpesive upgrades you can make, check out my nephew's rifle...
I like this kind of thinking... start with what you got and work up. Glad I found these forums. I have a Remington 721 and a Winchester which I don't want to modify due to sentimental reasons. The Remington has had extractor problems which have now been corrected for now. :(

On the note of calibers, I was thinking of starting out with 300 Win Mag. If I wanted upgrade options from there, what would you recommend if someone might want to eventually consider the .388 Edge?

Your nephew's rife is beautiful. Very inspiring!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

In the glass area I have a Leupold (Greybullprecision.com) scope and really like it. I like Leupold but there are a lot of good scopes. Just get the best scope you can afford or save up you will be glad.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

The ole 06 is a good choice for 600yds. While your thinking about which brand name you want, also think of parent cartridge capabilities. ( Base diameters and cartridge length ) your 30-06 can easily be rebarelled for very good cartridges from 6.5-284 Norma to 375 Scoville. I flute barrels and would very much prefer to see people use a light weight sporting contour when weight is an issue such as in a mountain rifle. Don't overlook what you already have or under estimate what your gunsmith might be able to do with it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

A 30-06 handloaded and tuned up enough to shoot 1 MOA will serve you very well for quite a while. Once you believe you have the ability to kill animals beyond the range of the 30-06 you will know enough about longrange hunting and what you really need to make a good decision on the next rifle.

So I think the best investment of your time and money will be in reloading equipment and minor modifications to your existing rifles such as getting the triggers set properly or swapped out and getting the action bedded.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
So I think the best investment of your time and money will be in reloading equipment and minor modifications to your existing rifles such as getting the triggers set properly or swapped out and getting the action bedded.
Agreed. Just installed a Timney trigger and am experimenting with various loads.