Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Non .30 cal for everything?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Non .30 cal for everything?

Non .30 cal for everything? What would you choose for a long range set up (1000yd and below) if you were going to kill 3 antelope, 2 whitetail, 2 mule deer, 2 elk, coyotes and practice on prarie dogs and wanted to keep recoil under a 7mm rem mag levels?

I curently use .243 for everthing except Elk, for that I use 7mm mag. Been thinking of a custom to use on everything from 0 to 1000yds.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Non .30 cal for everything?

No good answer for this in my opinion, the Elk just throws the whole thing off. No gun under 7mm is going to kill an elk at 1000 yards ethically. If you take the elk out of the equation, I would say maybe something along the lines of a .270 WSM?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Welch View Post
No good answer for this in my opinion, the Elk just throws the whole thing off. No gun under 7mm is going to kill an elk at 1000 yards ethically. If you take the elk out of the equation, I would say maybe something along the lines of a .270 WSM?
Yes, what he said. Prairie dogs throw it off also. If you are just going to shoot one prairie dog, then anything will do. If you are camped in the middle of a heavily populated prairie dog nation, then you are going to need more than one gun. My choice would be a .223 bolt or AR type varminter. One gun will need to cool while you shoot the other.

See the numerous ad nausem "the one perfect rifle" threads on this forum and others.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

You're not going to find anything that really has enough energy to take deer, much less elk reliably at 1,000yds with anything smaller than a 7mm Rem Mag.

Leave elk out of the equation and the .260 Rem is the closest thing I can think of and even it would be reaching it's limits on deer at that range.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
Non .30 cal for everything? What would you choose for a long range set up (1000yd and below) if you were going to kill 3 antelope, 2 whitetail, 2 mule deer, 2 elk, coyotes and practice on prarie dogs and wanted to keep recoil under a 7mm rem mag levels?

I curently use .243 for everthing except Elk, for that I use 7mm mag. Been thinking of a custom to use on everything from 0 to 1000yds.
Get a muzzle break and go 7 stw or 7 RM. Although honestly once you get the muzzle break you'll find that even a 30 cal (maybe even 338 cal will have less recoil than an unbraked 7 RM. Also having a muzzle break will allow you to spot your own shoots after 300 yards or so. So for a one rifle do all out to 1000 I say a 300 RUM with 210 bergers and a good break. Im assuming the yotes and PD are just for practice and you aren't really worried about hides. You are not going to keep a gun very cool no matter cal you pic for P-dog hunting and shooting it hot will reduce barrel life, so maybe throw high volume shooting out and you would be fine. Taking slow fire shots on Pdogs would be fine however
Old 11-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

6.5x284 should do all you want.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Bronze Member

280 ackley for the big stuff 223 ackley or 243 ackley for the lil stuff