Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

nikon scopes and scopes general

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM

nikon scopes and scopes general

I'm new to hunting and want to see what y'all think about nikon scopes since my friend tells me they're excellent. Any advice or useful information on scopes I should know?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: nikon scopes and scopes general

It depends on what you want kind of shooting or hunting you want to do. So many options (power, reticle , size of tube, etc). What caliber of rifle? I personaly like Leupold or Night Forse. Don't know much about Nikon.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Wy., so many variables go into picking the right scope for your rifle. I know we have something that will work for you just need a little more information.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM

I'm thinking 223 or 3030, going after Texas deer.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

For deer my choice would be the 30-30. Because it is limited balistically to about 300yds, I would opt for a 3-9 or 3.5-10 power. Nikon makes the Nikon Buckmaster in a 4.5-14 which is a very nice scope. I've owned one for about 3 years. It has been a rugged dependable scope. I also owned a Buckmaster 6-18x w/ target dot, but that was for my long range rifle. You may want to look at Vortex scopes too. I own one and have been dually impressed. You get my vote for Nikon or Vortex.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

How about a .308? Not a lot of recoil, reasonably priced ammo, will be great for Texas sized deer or any other 4 legged critters we have wondering around in Tx. except maybe Nilgi on the King Ranch.
A 3-9 would give you plenty of magnification and Nikon's BDC scopes will give you the capability after some range time to reach out there as far as you are comfortable shooting.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM

I found the Buckmaster and a Vortex viper pst. I guess the Buckmaster really is the best choice, or would the viper be practical as well?