Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nikon scope oddity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Nikon scope oddity

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone may be able to help me with a problem I had with my Nikon scope on my recent antelope hunt. I came upon some antelope and ranged them at a touch over 400 yards. 402 if I recall correctly. The scope is a Nikon Buckmaster with 1/8 moa adjustments. I dialed the scope up 50 clicks to put my buck right in the crosshairs, but wound up losing my shot. I then returned the scope 50 clicks down to my 100 yard zero. Five minutes later I stumbled upon the same herd a little over 100 yards away. I got in a steady position and fired a shot at the vitals of my buck. Clean miss. I fired 3 more misses before the herd even knew what was happening and then they were gone. I know I was shooting steady, but for whatever reason my crosshairs were entirely off target? Luckily I had a spare rifle and was able to successfully complete my hunt. I've never had something like this happen before. Any ideas what could have happened?

Unread 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Nikon scope oddity

Non-repeatable clicks. Were the clicks working well before the hunt? That is why most guys who use clicks use the high end scopes with proven repeatable clicks. I have several nikon monarchs and they repeat for the few times I have used them. I pretty much just use the mil dots for close stuff to 800 or so yards.
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future