Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nightforce turning in badger rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce turning in badger rings

Quote:
but when I ask a custom smith, one that is well known on this site, if I should lap , he about bit my head off.
I'm sure any smith would rather me try lapping my rings in lieu of me sending a rifle back because it was shooting like crap. Not sure what you would do otherwise.

Like you said everyone has there own way of doing things and I've just found mine to be a little different.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

Maybe I wasn't clear enough about the gunsmith comment. I'll put it another way, he assured me lapping Bager rings would not be necessary.
db
Old 10-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Hi db,

Not sure what you mean by hand fitting bases, but I've had the same problem with Farrell and Seekins picatinny rails at least (havene't used Badger stuff) matched to the same man. rings or not.

I've followed McPhersons advice on mounting bases basically 'lap' (there's that word again...) the base to action using wrap a piece of 320 grit around the action and very carefully move the base back and forth until about 1/2 of the bluing/anodizing is gone at the mating surface of the base. This gives a closer, more custom fit as the machining on the base or that action might not be perfect. Then use Loctite 609 retaining compound between the two and carefully place the base and torque the screws to spec (carefully cleaning the screw threads and action thread beforehand by running a tap and die and cleaning with acetone to get the grease off so the loctite product can do it's job) using loctite 222. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

But with a pic rail, it shouldn't matter as is should be machined perfectly and the bottom of the rings, if fitted and carefully pushed forward agains the next increment of the pic rail, should all align, but I haven't seen it happen yet--be in alignment, that is. I've just come to the conclusion after doing this several times with several setups that though the alignment should happen in a perfect world, this is far from a perfect world and alignment doesn't happen when it's checked for with proper tools. Just my experience.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

I do just about the same when I lap the base, but I usually have to take off more than he recommends. You can see where you're at when you tighten one end of the base. If you can see day light, then you have more to take off. As for "perfectly", I don't know what the manufacturing tolerances for their pieces are but I would assume the higher the price, the closer they would be. It would be interesting if someone from this site, that has the equipment, would do some checking and report back. I haven't tried it, but you can always mount the rings on the scope first and then on the rail and torque them down. I guess you could blue the surfaces where they make contact to see how they mate and if you have to remove material for that "perfect" fit. You should do this anyway if you switch scopes between firearms and back again.
db
Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm...interesting and informative discussion. Thank you.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

In the past I used Leupold rings and bases and had two sets of rear rings shear off that little tab the side screw tightens to. They were both installed using the alignment tool and then lapped.
I have a set of Warne mounts on a Nightforce 20moa rail and have not had a single issue with them. I noticed when I went from the 1" scope to the Nightforce 8-32x56 that is now on it was when all the problems started. I thought the scope had problems but it was all ring related.
I defintely agree with the comment to not use two piece bases, especially in a large caliber heavy kicker.
Muzzle brakes seem to make a huge difference in the scope mounting hardware also. It seems that the two actions of the recoil of the rifle and the action of the muzzle brake to stop the recoil causes two directional forces of movement at almost the same time.
I can't prove this but my brother has the same setup as I but not a muzzle brake. He has not had a single problem with scope mounting.
Sort of strange that your scope twisted in both directions. I would expect it would only go one way. Same rest set up on both days?
Just something to think about.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Bronze Member

No it was not the same rest set up both days. The first time I noticed the scope had moved I just had shot three rounds at my 1000yrd gong.

These shots were taken off a harris bypod from a wooden shooting bench, I had my sweat shirt under the legs to soften it some, This is the first time it moved and the scope rotated counter clockwise this time.

Either way the Max50 rings will be here tommorow, I hope they will fix my problem.

I have alway's used nailpolish under my rail, something I had read on here in the past, and I started applying the practice from than on, Never really knew if it helped much, just kinda gave you a little more confidenance in your mounting job.

Early this year when I sold my sendero and moved my rail from it to my Lapua I removed the base screws and had to take a little hammer and give the base a tap to remove it from the gun.

I was impressed with the holding power of just a little nailpolish, I think I apply this process to my scope rings this time when I mount it again, could'nt hurtlight bulb