Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nightforce turning in badger rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 AM
Bronze Member

Nightforce turning in badger rings

I have had to reset my NF twice this week. The scope is rotating counter clockwise the first time, clockwise the next in the rings.

This in on my Lapua shooting the 300smk, recoil is stiff but I didn't figure it would cause this. Talked with badger yesterday, They said it was unheard of with their standard rings.

They offered to exchange them for a set of their max50 rings but it would be 2 weeks before they had a set ready, so I just purchased a set from ebay.

I noticed all their rings branded for the milatry were of the max50 design, full 1" rings 6, 8/40 screws in the caps.

Any ideas here guys?
?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Nightforce turning in badger rings

I use Glen Seekins rings and haven't had troubles yet...

on 243 AI and 7mm... nothing that recoils like what yours is though...

Seekins are great and lower profile too.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Have you tried lapping them yet? I know they say they don't need to be lapped but they do.

I have a Badger base and NF rings and if I showed you how far they were off you probably wouldn't believe me. Either the base slots are crooked or the rings are. After lapping also add some rosin powder or Skotchkote for a little added insurance.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't seen a scope ring/base setup that wasn't out of wack yet. Leup PRW's, 2 sets of Leupold Mark 4's, Seekins rings and base combo, etc.

I think they all are out of wack--quite clear when you use an alignment tool. I wouldn't want my expensive scope being torqued around because I wasn't willing to spend $40 on a lapping kit--very easy to do. Just make sure you get a kit that include alignment tool so you can tell if you're making progress and so you don't overdo it. One well know company told me to just go through lapping process a few times and call it good--no need to check for alignment. Right. Their kit didn't come with an alignment tool. I've done this several times and wouldn't want to do without an alignment tool. Would you "take a shot in the dark"?

Lap 'em and reblue or whatever necessary to hold off rust. ML McPherson reccommends Loctite 609 retaining compound around the scope where the rings contact to help hold it all together.

Make sure you have all the torque specs for the individaul size screws for the base and rings and use a quality in/lb torque wrench and loctite 222 on the threads.

Just my experience. Good luck!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Not to start a fight here, but there are a couple observations I would like to make. First of all I never mix bases and rings from different manufactures. Secondly, I hand fit the one piece base to the receiver and locktite it down. Next I clean the rings, mount and torque with torque wrench. I check alignment with a tool. Then the scope is cleaned and mounted and caps tightened. I feel the caps should have the same gap on each side and be really, really tight. Especially on the heavy recoil rigs. I use Bager rings and bases the last few years and have never needed to lap the rings for proper alignnent. I know Nightforce recommends you do this, but when I ask a custom smith, one that is well known on this site, if I should lap , he about bit my head off. He was right. Some use "friction paper" between the scope and rings, but I have never done this with Bager pieces, nor would I recommend it. The "Max" rings should solve your problem, but let us know what happens. Very interesting, rotating one way then the other.
db
Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

db,

It is interesting about the non-lap vs. the lap ideas. I'd like to hear some more very good reasons of why a person shouldn't lap any combination of rings and bases. I'm certainly very open to learning anything I can. So, I'd sure like to have someone explain how putting a significant bending force (not that it's actually bending the tube--just the force) to the tube of your scope can could be a good thing. I'm certainly no expert and would like to learn. I don't think any of us would want a force applied to any part of our barrel, receiver, etc. of that kind. Isn't that that the reason that we bed receivers and float barrels to do away with forces like that that might cause inconsistancies? De-stress the receiver/barrel , de-stress the scope? Maybe I'm full of hot air, but I'd sure like to learn why so I can change my understanding of this.

I've used Leup bases and Leup Mark 4 tactical rings and found them out of alignment. I've used matched Seekins rings and bases and they were off as well. No big deal. That's what lapping is for, right?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

I guess the simple answer to your question is, I haven't had to lap any of the Bager rings when used with a Bager one piece base. Other mounting systems, like Leupold, Burris, etc, I have lapped them in the past and I don't use them anymore. Ring lapping only removes a few thousands anyway. If you need to take off more than that, you have an alignment problem. That is why I mentioned I begin with hand fitting the base to the action. You can't "bend" the base and expect the rings to properly align. By the way, for me, two piece bases are out, too much chance of introducing error. This is what I have found over the 50 years of hunting and shooting. I've tried just about all the name brands in the, "pursuit of perfection", and this is what I use today. And that's not to say that another method won't work for someone else. Furthermore, tomorrow I may find a way that fits me even better. My comments are where I'm at right now.
db