Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nightforce Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
This must be harder to explain than I thought it would be.

The rear lens wiggles up and down and side to side enough that the crosshairs move 1-2 inches on the target.

I haven't tried adjusting the power while watching the crosshairs but that would probably be a good test. I'll need to lock the rifle in a shooting vice of some sort to do that.

I don't know if the crosshairs are mounted on the first or second focal plane but I'm a little surprised that the crosshairs move with the rear lens. I would have thought they would be mounted on a lens somewhere in the main tube of the scope.

If the groups get tight with the Leupold mounted on the gun I'll know the problem is in the scope. If not, then the NF doesn't have a problem, the gun does.

I appreciate the suggestion on the replacement Lothar Walter stainless barrel. Any suggestions on who the best person would be to do the install? I don't really want the rifle to be gone for months and there are no local smiths I'd trust to do much of anything more than mounting scopes.
Nimrod you have a busted scope. With all that free play in the ocular nothing else you do will make any difference.

You need to solve that issue first before even starting to worry about anything else.

Call your dealer and/or call NF. At a minimum the ocular is way out of spec and thus loose enough to leak gas which means at some point your scope is going to fog up and freeze on the inside.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
This must be harder to explain than I thought it would be.

The rear lens wiggles up and down and side to side enough that the crosshairs move 1-2 inches on the target.

I haven't tried adjusting the power while watching the crosshairs but that would probably be a good test. I'll need to lock the rifle in a shooting vice of some sort to do that.

I don't know if the crosshairs are mounted on the first or second focal plane but I'm a little surprised that the crosshairs move with the rear lens. I would have thought they would be mounted on a lens somewhere in the main tube of the scope.

If the groups get tight with the Leupold mounted on the gun I'll know the problem is in the scope. If not, then the NF doesn't have a problem, the gun does.

I appreciate the suggestion on the replacement Lothar Walter stainless barrel. Any suggestions on who the best person would be to do the install? I don't really want the rifle to be gone for months and there are no local smiths I'd trust to do much of anything more than mounting scopes.
I just checked my NXS 8-32x56. The only movement on the ocular is it rotates for power adjustment, and it is tight--though smooth--in it's rotation. There is no side-to-side or up and down play of any kind.

Last edited by afp1; 11-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Nimrod you have a busted scope. With all that free play in the ocular nothing else you do will make any difference.

You need to solve that issue first before even starting to worry about anything else.

Call your dealer and/or call NF. At a minimum the ocular is way out of spec and thus loose enough to leak gas which means at some point your scope is going to fog up and freeze on the inside.
+1 This is good advice. There is no movement in any of my NXS scopes. Sounds like it could have been bumped or unscrewed to far. I would get her sent in for repair.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

I had a leupold once that the ocular lock ring came loose on. I noticed when my groups started being random at 500 yds. Once i tightened the lock ring the movement went away and the groups tightened up.

To the best of my knowledge you have 1 of 2 possible problems.

(1) The ocular housing (rear eyepiece) lock ring is loose. It is seperate from the knurled power ring (just behind it). If you tighten that up by grabbing the rear eyepiece and tightening the lock ring the problem might go away.

(2) The ocular lense (rear lense) is loose. There is a ring that is threaded and holds the glass in place. If this is loose then the lense itself is loose and will move. If thats the case you should send it to Nightforce for repair.

If both of these are good there will be no movement of the crosshair when rotating the power adjustment. The whole rear eyepiece should move as one piece.