Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Nightforce or Mark 4? PLEASE help me decide!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce or Mark 4? PLEASE help me decide!

Given your predisposiition to wander around in the dark shooting at pigs, I would agree with DUH

Quote:
By the way why wouldn't you be buying the 56 mm front for better light transmission ? It is the undisputed king in that dept .
Old 02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

I miss-typed when I listed the Nightforce scope- if I go with the Nightforce I'm going to get the 3.5-15x56 NXS with Zero-Stop.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 AM

Here is a simple test for you to determine which scope is superior to the other. Look into the objective end of the scope. If you can see your reflection the scope is not transmitting light but rather reflecting it. Regardless of the size of the objective end.

The quality of the glass and the coating on that glass (not only the objective lens but the internal lenses as well) determine the light transmitting capability of the scope.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRITT View Post
I love my 4.5-14 X 50 LR. I had the TMR reticle and tall turret put on. I may consider a NXS but they are a big peice of equipment and carry a big price. One thing to consider that I believe NF has over Leupold is the TMR is a MIL reticle with MOA turrets. the NF has a MOA reticle and MOA turrets. less math for simple folk like me is a good thing.
That is why I use an NXS with MLR (mil- reticle) and Mil turrets. 1 click = 0.1 Mil. Talk about simple!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Buy the Nightforce NXS. The Nightforce NXS is a much better scope and worth every penny.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Soth texbowhunter asked a question i have been wondering also. Great thread. To go further if i may, and not to sound stupid i have never heard of night force until i joined this site. I have been considering the nf can afford it but dont care to spend the money if it is not for me. Just looking and listening it sounds pretty complicated, is this true. Do you need the zero turn to be able to return to your original sight in? I still dont uderstand all the moa!. Then with the leupolds will they return to original point? Im in Md and hunt mainly pa. dont have many 800 plus places to shoot and at the time not capable of doing so. I would love to learn though. I was looking at next scope purchase for my new current build to be something for longer range especially because i plan to go west soon and want to have the equiptment. So if your going to throw the money in would you go with the high power such as the 5-22 and the 6-20. I currently have a 4.5 -14 leupold on my one whby. Any suggestions/
Mike
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

The eye relief wins hands down in the NF it seems to stay constistant on power adjustment, the loupold while a fantastic scope its eye relief seams to change more drastic with power. Probly important on a larger recoiling rifle. I own a 3.5-15 X 50 NSX would'nt trade it for anything for short to medium range hunting say to 800 yds then I'd step to a 5.5-22. Just my 2 cents.