Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

nightforce made in china??? - no -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

re: nightforce made in china??? - no -

They are NOT made in china. Where are you getting your facts from???
If they were made in china, our military would not be allowed to purchase them..........

Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
Really RTK? Do you believe everyone knows this or, have you told everyone already? If you think it is not correct information I have one I will gladly sell you for $2000. The post was for those looking for a REAL review.
Nice response. I'll bet your ton's of help.

I really dont think they would try to mislead you the added quote is straight from the Nightforce site. Seems to me they are pretty clear about where they are made and why they have a stamp Made in Japan. I would guess if you have one that says made in China it might be a knockoff sorry to say. If I have any facts wrong please correct me though, I would be glad to hear your side.

Some of our optics are engraved with "Made in USA" while others are engraved with "Made in Japan." The country of origin for the source of the primary core components of the optics requires the appropriate “Made in” designation.
We have worked with the premier Japanese firm since our earliest days, as they have proven time and again to be industry leaders in optical design and manufacturing. It has always been the Nightforce Optics goal to build and offer the best optics in the world. With that said, all of the final assembly and quality assurance testing to guarantee Nightforce Optics standards is conducted at our factory in Orofino, Idaho. All service, modifications and warranty work is performed in our Idaho facility as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

All Leupold Gold Ring scopes (VX1-VX6) are manufactured in Beaverton, Oregon. This also includes all of the Tactical optics from the Mark AR through the Mark 8. Gold Ring spotters are also made in Beaverton, Oregon. Leupold is currently the #2 user of T6061-T6 aluminum in the US with Boeing being #1. The glass comes from Europe and Asia, due to the fact that there is no US manufacturer of optical grade glass that can supply the quantity or quality needed. Optical glass is bought and sold on the commodities market by grade, meaning no matter where it comes from, the quality that yo specify to be bought will be the same. If you think that all European makers use European glass, they don't. The Redfield Revolution is also manufactured in Beaverton. There are currently over 770 employees working at the facility. Leupold operates in a 158,000 square foot manufacturing facility and operates a separate 20,000 square foot distribution center. This is just over 4 acres under roof. Leupold has the largest installation of Indexturning centers west of the Mississippi river. They are currently the only optics company that manufactures riflescopes in the US. They build more scopes in 8 weeks than all of the European scope makers combined build in 1 year. The rangefinders, green ring binos and spotters, and several of the Redfield riflescopes(hence their price point) are made in Asia.
If you ever plan to be in Beaverton, schedule a tour and see for yourself!
Ben
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 AM

The sad thing is we are all still saying the thing. In a country as proud as the USA none of us can find a true made in USA product. I probably spoke at length with NightForce (it may have been you). I understand the 90's rush to outsource like everyone else and sell ourselves into a hell of a financial mess. My decision to drop thousands of dollars into Optics is now based on place of manufacture pass/fail and on from there. I paid a very high price because of the promise from NightForce that it has no foreign product. I should have been told the truth and so should a lot of fighting men. It sounds like no one is bitchin' but me so I will stand down. Please understand... nothing is more important to a customer than the truth.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
Ya they are made in Japan then looked over when they get back to the shop in idaho
Thats the American Industry model. Sounds like Vortex and 88% of retail optics sold today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMAG2 View Post
If true, that's shocking, considering all the advertising that Leupold puts into "made in America"...hard to believe they could get away with that. Is ANYTHING still really made in America these days?????
2 things are still made in USA today, babies and entitlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
+1, I love my Leupolds
To me, a scope is a tool, not something to be romanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
As far as I know there are no high quality manufacturers of optical glass in the US. Therefore any good scope will have European (likely German) or Asian (likely Japanese) optical glass inside.

Wrong. In fact there is outstanding optical glass still being ground and polished in this country today and tomorrow. One it's not in any consumer optics and two, if it was you would not be able to afford it.

Manufacture of optical glass isn't really something some mom n' pop shop can set up to do.
You sure about that? Bet you'd be suprised to know that some of the highest grade available precision ground and polished glass originates in very small shops, some in California. Again, it's not for consumer optics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholic72 View Post
All Leupold Gold Ring scopes (VX1-VX6) are manufactured in Beaverton, Oregon. This also includes all of the Tactical optics from the Mark AR through the Mark 8. Gold Ring spotters are also made in Beaverton, Oregon. Leupold is currently the #2 user of T6061-T6 aluminum in the US with Boeing being #1. The glass comes from Europe and Asia, due to the fact that there is no US manufacturer of optical grade glass that can supply the quantity or quality needed. Optical glass is bought and sold on the commodities market by grade, meaning no matter where it comes from, the quality that yo specify to be bought will be the same. If you think that all European makers use European glass, they don't. The Redfield Revolution is also manufactured in Beaverton. There are currently over 770 employees working at the facility. Leupold operates in a 158,000 square foot manufacturing facility and operates a separate 20,000 square foot distribution center. This is just over 4 acres under roof. Leupold has the largest installation of Indexturning centers west of the Mississippi river. They are currently the only optics company that manufactures riflescopes in the US. They build more scopes in 8 weeks than all of the European scope makers combined build in 1 year. The rangefinders, green ring binos and spotters, and several of the Redfield riflescopes(hence their price point) are made in Asia.
If you ever plan to be in Beaverton, schedule a tour and see for yourself!
Ben
"Made in' and 'Assembled From' have become so entertwined and intermeshed in today's society and 'World Class Manufacturing climate, it's hard to distinguish what is actually made from 100% domestically sourced parts and assemblies from what is made from components sourced worldwide.

I don't need to go to Beaverton, Oregon or Idaho or to any manufacturing facility to know that to be competitive in a very competitive marketplace, a percentage of parts and/or assemblies are sourced offshore. Thats the facts of life in the world we live in.

If the product states 100% made in USA from domestically sourced mayerials, then it's made here. if it don't. it's assembled here or shipped in and final inspection is made on US Soil. Thats the bottomn line and all the postulating on this thread won't change that fact.

People that live in glass houses should never throw stones.

I'll stick with my Vortex, PST's made in the Phillepenes from comp;onents sourced worldwide (LO Glass for one) and my Leupold VX3's, assembled from components sourced worldwide, assembled in Beaverton, Oregon but certianly not completely made on US Soil.

American manufacturers priced themselves out of the world market over a dcecade ago. Nothing has changed in that respect except the nomenclature used.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 AM

Amen.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
The sad thing is we are all still saying the thing. In a country as proud as the USA none of us can find a true made in USA product. I probably spoke at length with NightForce (it may have been you). I understand the 90's rush to outsource like everyone else and sell ourselves into a hell of a financial mess. My decision to drop thousands of dollars into Optics is now based on place of manufacture pass/fail and on from there. I paid a very high price because of the promise from NightForce that it has no foreign product. I should have been told the truth and so should a lot of fighting men. It sounds like no one is bitchin' but me so I will stand down. Please understand... nothing is more important to a customer than the truth.
troll

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
The thread is closed