Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

night force 20 moa bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM

night force 20 moa bases

I have a quick question, I have a D.E. 338 Edge that I am shooting and it was built with 20moa Night Force Bases, I have Exbal on a Palm . I would like to know how and if you factor in the extra moa achieved with the bases, and how is the extra moa achieved, are the bases tapered? Thank you
J.P.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: night force 20 moa bases

The 20MOA bases are indeed tapered so that your scope is set at a downward angle. This allows the shooter to reach out to farther distances. With a no taper base you run out of scope adjustmet for really long shots when you have extra on the bottom end of the adjustment that never gets used. It is wasted. An scope set angled down will optimize the turret adjustment where you need it and still be able to have down ward adjustment for 100 yards.

No you do not need to factor this in to your program nor your calculations. Just zero the rifle in as normal, use exbal as normal and forget that you have the 20MOA base.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
The 20MOA bases are indeed tapered so that your scope is set at a downward angle. This allows the shooter to reach out to farther distances. With a no taper base you run out of scope adjustmet for really long shots when you have extra on the bottom end of the adjustment that never gets used. It is wasted. An scope set angled down will optimize the turret adjustment where you need it and still be able to have down ward adjustment for 100 yards.

No you do not need to factor this in to your program nor your calculations. Just zero the rifle in as normal, use exbal as normal and forget that you have the 20MOA base.
Would it be better to sight it in on the 2nd hash-mark up since you have the 20 MOA??.....just curious, I don't have clue...and I'm getting ready to sight mine in for the first time on a 20 MOA base (Warne)
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcat View Post
Would it be better to sight it in on the 2nd hash-mark up since you have the 20 MOA??.....just curious, I don't have clue...and I'm getting ready to sight mine in for the first time on a 20 MOA base (Warne)
How one sights in really is a personal preference. Most shooters find it easiest to zero using the center crosshair at a specifec range for a foundation, then make adjustments to the turret or use a holdover point or both to make a longer range shot. A 20 MOA base just allows one to utilize more of his scopes internal elevation travel for getting 20 MOA more adjustment than you would with a level base.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.