Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

NF Reticle Help Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

NF Reticle Help Please

Thanks to Len, LRH, and NightForce, I am faced with the enviable task of having to choose a reticle for my new 3.5x15x56 NF scope. I'm down to the NP-R1 or the NP-R2 and am leaning towards the NP-R1 for simplicity. I'm way behind the long range learning curve and I suspect some of you may think this scope is wasted on me....but don't write me off just yet.

This year the NF is liikely to see action on my trusty Mauser .270, in Leupold rings [I just ordered a set of super high rings]. I've drawn an antelope tag here in Wyoming and am under orders to shoot a calf elk so I can concentrate on having fun and picking my shots with a great scope.

No time or money for a build this season though I am keeping an eye out for a 7 mag Sendero to jumpstart things for next year.

Reticle thoughts please.

Thanks.

Matt
Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NF Reticle Help Please

For long range work, I like the NP-R1 (I have 2 of them).

My next one will have the Velocity reticle for a shorter range rifle.

Congrats again,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Thanks AJ
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
SPONSOR

The R1 is busier than the R2 and the R2 runs 2 MOA brackets and is easy to use at night if you ever run it on a coyote rig....

I have one on my Sendero 7mm and it runs the reticle great !

I have 2 friends that are changing there reticles to the R2 from the R1 as they are pushing on in age, they say it is harder to run the finer lines of the R1....

just a little more info for you.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations on winning the scope. Bet that put a smile on your face.

I donít use a Nightforce scope but if I was going to the NP-R2 would be my choice. The NP-R1 just seems a little too busy for me.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have an NP-R2 and like it a lot. The NP-R1 is a more precise reticle, but a little too busy for me, and IMO, the R2 with 2 MOA increments is good enough to interpolate to 1K.

-MR
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

I have the R1 on a custom 300 ultra which I shoot 1000 yds accross a canyon from my built in sidehill benchrest. I don't feel it is too busy for this kind of shooting because I normally have a lot of time to get the shot off. I have a laminated chart made up with the zero distance for every minute of angle. (with my rifle it averages about 35 yds/minute. I am zeroed at 400 yds. so can effectively shoot out past 1200 yds with the setup. It works great. I will probably, however; go to pre set turrets for my custom load, which is better yet. Kenton industries in Ca. will make you some for around $90. The only problem with the Nightforce is there is only 10 minutes/ each rotation so you have to run at least two tiers of numbers on your turrets. Otherwise its a great scope......Rich