Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Newbie Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Newbie Please help

All suggestions have been great. I own the Nikon 4.5x14x40 Buckmaster. It has the standard mil-dot and holds up well. I have upgraded to the 6-18x40 with target dot. At 1000yrds the normal reticule berries groundhogs and make it hard to be accurate. For 500 to 800 yards it is the perfect scope. It will also hold up to the recoil of a 300WM. I have the 6-18 on my 300WSM. The Burris is a good option and here is another to wrap your head around:

Liberty Optics Riflescopes Binoculars Spotting Scopes Free Shipping Look for the Vortex Crossfire scopes.

There are some guys on here that currently use the Crossfire series scope and have been very happy with the glass and quality of optics for the money. Scott Barish the owner of Liberty Optics is a top notch guy and will take care of you. He carries several different optics lines.

As far as the Savage is concerned, Choate makes two different stocks that will fit the long action. For the money you can't beat the Choate in my opinion without dumping a ton of money into the stock. The Varmint, Super Sniper, and their new Tactical stock will all fit the LA Savages. My cousin currently uses on with a short action shooting a 338 Lapua Mag. It greatly reduces the recoil of the rifle and does not have a muzzle break. It does however weight 20 pounds with a full 1" contour 32" barrel. So that helps in recoil, but the will easily tame the 300WM.

Choate Tactical Stock Savage 110 Long Action Composite Black - MidwayUSA : Nice feature is the full length aluminum bedding block.

Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock Savage 110 Series Long Action Blind Magazine 1.25" Barrel Channel Synthetic Olive Drab - MidwayUSA

Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock Savage 110 Series Long Action Blind Magazine 1.25" Barrel Channel Left Hand Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA : Does not have the tapered forend like the Super Sniper, makes for a better off the bags stock.

Well I hope this helps and you really enjoy your new Savage. I am an avid Savage fan, and have been absolutely happy with my rifles so far.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Newbie Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard1123 View Post
thanks a lot i really like the millet scope. It will hold up to the 300 win mag? I found one for $291 shipped should i just get this one?
I don't know if it hold 300 wm, I don't own one I have Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA I can see bullet holes 500 yards away with it, but I was researching a scope for my other rifle which currently has 150 dollar Tasco with x24 zoom, but its blur, so I came up with Millet, there are good reviews done on it Millett Tactical Rifle Scope TRS-1, one of this days I'll get one

Last edited by Jinx-); 06-08-2010 at 07:43 PM.