Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

hey everyone, i'm new to the site, and just getting into long range shooting. the longest i've ever shot with any success up until now was roughly 450-500 yards with my a-bolt .204, but it was a very calm day, and i was using a ballistic reticle to judge holdover. lately i've been wanting to learn the proper way to dial in for different ranges. can anyone recommended any good books on ballistics and long range shooting? i currently have a browning a-bolt medallion 7mm win mag, and i just bought a used (less than 20 rounds) Savage 112BVSS 7mm RUM with the following: 30" Schneider fluted stainless match barrel 1-12" twist, muzzle brake, sharpshooter trigger, not sure what kind of stock but its definitely not factory, pillar bedded. it was supposedly built by John Lewis at Carolina Precision Rifles, and included Redding dies. I topped it off with a Burris Signature Select 6-24x44 that I already had on hand. sorry for rambling on so long, i've been spending a lot of time reading the forums and i'm sure i will learn a lot. thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Are you sure that 7 rum's barrel twist is 1-12? I believe 7mm barrels usually have a 1-9 twist.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

thats what the previous owner said it is. i know my browning is around 1-9.5" or so
Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Bronze Member

talked to john lewis at carolina precision today, he said he doesn't remember the gun so he couldn't say what the twist is, but i did confirm that the engraving on the barrel is his. just have to check it myself. shot it for the first time, shot a few 1 moa groups after sighting in, still have some fine tuning to do
Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

well i determined it to be 1-10, not 1-12. i got a new cleaning brush, started the brush into the barrel on a rod, marked a spot on the rod, and pushed it through the barrel until it made one complete revolution, then measured the distance it traveled and came up with 10". tried it 3 times and got the same thing everytime. not quite the 1-9 i was hoping i would come up with but better than 1-12
Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

He man, welcome aboard. You won't find a better bunch of guys. You can get most of what you need right here on this site....the just starting out forum would be a good read. You can also go online and download the Army Sniper handbook.
As far as long range shooting in concerned, reading about it will only show you how others do it. Good for basics. Nothing is gonna take the place of getting out and sending rounds down range...a lot of rounds. Shooting is just like anything else, the more you do it the better you get.
The first thing I would do is try to get those group sizes down by half. You didn't say if those were 100yd or 600yd moa groups so I'ma assume 100. I don't know your experience level, but if you don't have a lot of experience behind a rifle(especially one that size) let somebody else shoot it. Someone who knows what they are doing. Make sure you aren't the limiting factor in trying to find that sweet shooting load for your rifle. Do you handload? If not you are limiting yourself IMO. Most people can't shoot as good as their rifles are capable, you want to be the exception.
I would also do a box test on the scope and make sure it is repeatable mechanically. You want to eliminate every fault from your equipment as possible. An accurate rifle and scope will give you a lot of confidence, then if you miss you know the problem is the turd pulling the trigger. Not that I'm calling you a turd...or am I.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Also, if the scope isn't very repeatable, you need to learn to use the ballistic plex you have and learn hold over. Or use the ballistic plex and make small turret adjustments. Or send the scope back. For longer shots I like dialing myself, it's more precise. I also will see where my mil-dots are shooting for quick shots that may present themselves.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.