Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Newbe.. Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Bronze Member

Newbe.. Scopes

I currently have a A Bolt in 300wsm and Boss , on top is a 3x9 leupold vx2 .The gun is very accurate . But do not feel i have the ability to shoot accurately past 500 yrds . Looking for suggestions on long range scopes that i should consider and which i should not .
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Newbe.. Scopes

Stick Leupold, Sightron, Vortex Viper, PST, & HS, Night Force.

Want to look for scopes with a 14x power range and higher. Depending on how small of a target you plan to shoot determines the amount of power you need to get there. I personally enjoy my Vortex Viper 6.5-20 power with a 44mm objective. Look for 44mm objective or higher. Welcome to LRH
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 AM

You will get more specific suggestions if you give us a price point and intended use. That being said, the above manufacturers are all good scope companies. If you have the budget, you can add Schmidt and Bender to the list as well. I personally own a Vortex Crossfire and it is a good scope for the money.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

See my recent posts on assessing optical performance at the SHOT Show.
Hawke Sidewinder Vs Vortex Viper vs Falcon Menace??

I can only comment on what I evaluated. I reserve the right to edit these lists after reviewing my notes from prior SHOT Shows. My list of medium mag scopes with good optical performance for their price points include:

Burris FF II and XTR, Bushnell 6500 and some Tactical models (3-12x44), Hawke Sidewinder and TAC, Leupold Mark 4, VX-3L and VX-6, Nightforce, Steiner, Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Razor.

At the high end, Swarovski, S&B, Zeiss and Kahles all have great optical performance.

I'm not favorably impressed with Meopta, Minox, Nikko Sterling, Nikon MXXX, P223 and Monarch, Pentax, Shepherd, Sightron SII and SIII, Vortex Viper PST & HS. The optical performance is average, at best, for their price points.

With the exception of Hawke, I haven't found any Chinese made scopes with acceptable optical performance and quality.

I don't see the need to buy a scope with average or marginal optical quality. There are plenty of good optical quality scopes out there. Pick one with the features you want and that you can afford.

When it comes to magnification, less is more. Veiling glare is a key discriminator in scope optical performance. Higher magnification scopes have higher glare, and also require larger objectives for the same brightness. The larger the objective, the more glare. Buy only as much magnification as you really need, and no more.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Bronze Member

budget is 800-1000 , I am new too turrets and they seem a little confusing to me . So i was thinking of a custom turret . I have seen some manufactures that offer this . I can provide accurate info. Thanks for the responses without the wise ass comments i have seen people recive on other forums. I am serious about the ability to shoot LR. TY
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

With that budget range, you can easily got to the Sightron SIII's, Luepy VX3, and I'm willing to bet you can find a Night Force used in that price range. Bushnell's Elite Series are good scopes. My cousin currently uses an Elite Tactical 4200. It was a first production model and if a very nice scope. Kind of wished I got one when he did, just wasn't in the budget. Might want to look at Weaver's new tactical line. They are getting some really good reviews for functionality and clarity.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I currently have a A Bolt in 300wsm and Boss , on top is a 3x9 leupold vx2 .The gun is very accurate . But do not feel i have the ability to shoot accurately past 500 yrds . Looking for suggestions on long range scopes that i should consider and which i should not .
Zeiss Conquest 4.5 -14 power X 50. About $875