Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

New Zealand Alpine Game Animals At Long Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Zealand Alpine Game Animals At Long Range

Awsome story and pictures!Please tell us some more.I like the different stuff!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 AM

Cool pics and grate shooting.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Nice!!!
The 7mm Fatso, how accurate can it be with such a light set up?
Thanks for sharing! Nice pictures.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

NZ Longranger
Enjoy your hunting stories and pics. You need to post more very interesting and steep! Is that a suppressor on your rifle and what make and model? I am very interested in one. Thanks IP
Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

IP,
Its a supressor with external muzzle brake custom made for me by Robbie Tiffen of GunWorks in NZ: http://gunworks.co.nz
He's a great guy and prepared to listen to new ideas.
Without the brake, in cases of this large capacity there is a lot of rearward movement, making it hard to get back on target to watch the bullet strike. Like a rocket if you like, all that gas still has to come out that same front hole! The brake minimalises this rearward movement, is a pussy to shoot and is quiet, about like a 223 which ain't bad for a 180gn 7mm Berger doing just under 3400fps I reckon!

Eaglet,
Yea, acheiving accuracy with a gun as light as the Fatso can be challenging. Everything must be true and straight and then the shooter's got to be up to it too! With out the muzzle brake the Fatso was fairly violent off the bench, particularly when shooting the 180gn Bergers, but braked its no problem at all, just loud! It averages about .4" at 100 yards for 3 shot groups and 1/2 moa at 600 and 1000 yards with the 162gn A-Max load we settled on for the longrange work. This is off the fixed Harris bipod and hand under the butt rest we use in the field. But boy is it great to carry round our steep country! Its about to get even lighter now the load development work is completed as we're gonna replace the Nightforce with a lighter Leupold hunting scope. Ideally the new VX7 4.5-18x56L if they're available in time, but otherwise either Mark4 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 M1's. Then it'll weigh 7lbs all up in ready to go hunting mode, that'll be a joy to carry!
I'll write more on it soon.
Greg
Old 02-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Greg ,

must say , if mine shoots and looks as good as Jamies i'll be pretty happy , " Come on Richard with those 168ULD's " [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brendan
Old 02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

many thanks for the story and pics. just great.

does anyone else feel like a beginner? i mean. "my drop chart starts at 800" i guess when you set up on the valley floor and shoot something up on those mountains, 800 might be a good starting point!